Errors and disabled disk during scheduled parity check

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

I haven't particularly had this issue come up before where parity check has stalled after ~12 hours into a typical ~22hr parity check on the first of each month. I got two errors at the same time - Warning (Array has 1 disk with read errors), and Alert (Disk 12 in error state disk dsbl).

The disk shows in unassigned devices and with just a format button. Nothing in the syslog spoke to me as to the root issue and I wanted to check here before proceeding with an attempt to restart array without the drive selected, and then start with it selected to perform rebuild/sync.

Currently the page is hanging when I select to proceed with canceling said stalled parity check, hoping to not do a force shutdown/restart.

Diagnostics attached but also SMART report for disk 12 from a couple of weeks ago. Thanks

Edit: I had to shutdown the machine as the 'main' page was unresponsive and I couldn't cancel the stalled parity check via parity.check plugin.
Disk 12 was rather noisy when booting back up, smart test completed: read failure, but still says passed. attaching new smart report.

citadel-diagnostics-20230802-0630.zip ST8000NE001-2M7101_WSDA5J92-20230717-1323.txt

ST8000NE001-2M7101_WSDA5J92-20230802-0906.txt

Edited by Kurtains

Why do you think it's a power/connection issue? I recently checked connections after doing some dusting inside the rack and case, plus it seems weird that it would be just one drive that's connected up to the backplane and not multiple/surrounding drives to also have issues right?
The first (oldest) of those two attached smart reports is an extended one, from only a little time ago - will an extended one even complete if I can't currently run a short test as it finishes moments after starting "completed: read failure"?