Folders vs Shares? (same config for all shares)

Are there any benefits for using individual shares for (Movies, Tv, etc..) instead of just one Share (Media) with folders (Movies, Tv, etc..)?

I know you could configure the shares so only movies on disk 1, and tv on disk 2 etc.., but if I have the same config for all shares (all shares uses all disks), are there any benefits?
What is the recommended way?

(Sry, this might have been asked a 1000 times, but couldn't really find any good answer).

Edited by mambans
2 hours ago, strike said:

The benefit with one share is that you can use hardlinks. That won't work with multiple shares as hardlinks only works within the same share. https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/Hardlinks-and-Instant-Moves/

One benefit I can see with multiple shares is you can set up different split levels, if you care about that sort of thing. But I think the ability to use hardlinks is much more useful.

Ah oke, yea that seems a bit more useful for me too. Thanks!

The benefit with one share is that you can use hardlinks. That won't work with multiple shares as hardlinks only works within the same share. https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/Hardlinks-and-Instant-Moves/
One benefit I can see with multiple shares is you can set up different split levels, if you care about that sort of thing. But I think the ability to use hardlinks is much more useful.

If I don’t have this setup right now, using top level shares for movies, downloads, tv, etc… is there a straightforward way to convert to hardlinks like this, without breaking my system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
48 minutes ago, joshsalvi said:

If I don’t have this setup right now, using top level shares for movies, downloads, tv, etc… is there a straightforward way to convert to hardlinks like this, without breaking my system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, it's pretty straight forward. You just have to do some manual moving of your files to the new share. If you do it right the move should be instantaneous. Since all you want to do is to move your files to a new share and not to a new disks.

If you're familiar with midnight commander you can use that,it's included in unraid. Just type mc in the terminal. I think the best way would be to enable disk shares and move the files disk by disk to ensure they don't move to another disk. Depending on your file structure it shouldn't take to much time. Just set up the new share and all the folders, then move your files to the appropriate folder in the new share. As I said the move will be instantaneous, if you do it right. 

Just make sure you DON'T (!!!) move from a disk share to a user share or vice versa. If you do that you can have data loss.