Backplane has lead to Catastrophic Failure..... Biscuits!

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Looking for advise on the best steps forward to maintain the current setup of dockers and data?

Unraid 6.12.2

System consists of 6 x 12TB sata DATA drives + 2 x 14TB sata PARITY drives connected via IT MODE HBA

I moved my hardware into a "new to me" server rackmount case, NORCO I think (Have since learned the backplanes may have a rep for failure and taking out drives with them)

Sigh.... 4 of 8 drives are dead. All 4, 2 x data drives and BOTH Parity drives. THese where all plugged into the same row/backplane and cooked their PCBS.

I have had the 2 x 12TB data drives recovered by a data recovery firm (AUD$880........OUCH)

Put all 6 data drives back into their ORIGINAL system case and added a single 16TB drive for single drive partity. Spun up the array to start a parity rebuild. 2hrs in one of the repaired drives dropped offline..... sigh

I can plug this drive into a USB DOCK on another linux system and attaches and seems to work normally?

When I plug it back into unraid via the HBA it appears with a red cross, DRIVE DISABLED CONTENTS EMULATED (can not be actually emulated as the parity build was never completed)

What is the correct procedure to try and maintain my current setup of dockers and data. Should I run the NEW CONFIG tool with preserve something selected?

• Solution
1 minute ago, DrKarl said:

Thank you. Which preserve setting should I be using in this case?

Whichever is most convenient.   Normally All but that is up to you as you are then going to make changes.    The New Config tool is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.