How to copy files to external USB drive from a share?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Due to poor SMB performance, no FTP (may Mac is read only to the Unraid FTP server - why?), I am looking at using an external SSD to copy 100's Gbs Final Cut Pro X projects to and from the Unraid array. After experimentation I have found that:

1. Copy to and from a USB SSD is possible and fast, fast as the Unraid array can read or write, ~130Mb/s read, ~60Mb/s write. (APFS is read only, exFAT is read and write so Samsung T5 SSD formatted as exFat)

2. A copy from the Unraid disks can only work from a single disk in the array i.e, disk3 to the external SSD disk. The external disk is listed as a option to copy to.

3. File Manager is not able to copy from a share called 'unraid' (made up of disk1 disk2 disk3 disk4) to /mnt/disks/samsungt5, only to other shares. The external disk is not available as a destination to copy to.

4. The FCPX projects' files are spread across disks in the array (expected) and a copy from a single disk in the array will likely only copy part of a FCPX project.

Is there a way to copy a FCPX project (which is a folder of many files and folders) from a share to an externally mounted disk?

Edited by ChannelD
Word corrections
  • Solution
3 minutes ago, ChannelD said:

Is there a way to copy a FCPX project (which is a folder of many files and folders) from a share to an externally mounted disk?

Yes, you can use for example midnight commander (mc on the CLI), one side browse to /mnt/user/share, other to /mnt/disks/UD_device

4 minutes ago, ChannelD said:

3. File Manager is not able to copy from a share called 'unraid' (made up of disk1 disk2 disk3 disk4) to /mnt/disks/samsungt5, only to other shares.

The obvious answer is to ask for enhancements to this to support copying between User Shares and UD managed devices/shares..   I do not see why it should not be implemented (other than the effort involved).