Unraid with no parity?

Hi, I'm building a new storage server with some HDDs I have laying around.

The server will run Proxmox as a host OS and have Unraid VM run on it.
Ubraid will be passed a PCIe HBA controller card for the storage drives but will most likely have only 2 HDDs of 8TB (SMR) and 6TB (CMR).
What file system would best suit these 2 drives, assuming the intention is to maximize storage capacity (btrfs, ext4, etc.)? Or is it a good idea to go with Unraid at all in this case?

This NAS is meant to be a backup NAS for another system that has more redundancy than that. I know it's a bad idea to have no parity, but if I were to go that route, which file system would be best to let the drives work for as long as possible without torturing them with scrubs (zfs) or rewrites of all kinds?

Any info is appreciated, Thanks!
-Sergey.

For me, Unraid with no parity is fine when the data stored is replaceable (such as backup data) and you don't need the availability a rebuild ability which the parity system provides.  My second/backup server (built from leftover parts) doesn't have parity drives.  One added benefit is that write speeds are 3-4x faster without it.

As far as file system, my recommendation is xfs for this use case.  Basic, established and well supported, and all that is needed for this.  Don't overthink it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

For me, Unraid with no parity is fine when the data stored is replaceable (such as backup data) and you don't need the availability a rebuild ability which the parity system provides.  My second/backup server (built from leftover parts) doesn't have parity drives.  One added benefit is that write speeds are 3-4x faster without it.

As far as file system, my recommendation is xfs for this use case.  Basic, established and well supported, and all that is needed for this.  Don't overthink it.

Awesome! Thank you for your input. This makes sense.