LSI 9500 series 16i tri-mode PCIE 4.0 with Supermicro SAS3-826EL1-N4 backplane Unraid Support?

HI I ordered this card along with the cables to attach to my SAS expander, will this work for unraid? My motherboard is GIGABYTE MZ32-AR0 Rev 3.0 with an AMD Epyc 7532 128GB RAM and 6x 14TB SATA drives along with a handful of m.2 NVME. The motherboard has many SAS/SATA ports but none of them work directly to SAS expander so I'm hoping this controller will work? Any ideas? Thanks!

The only issue I have is this Supermicro 826 case has the 2 NVME drives in the rear that has a SFF 8654 to 4x SATA and some odd 8 pin cable... no idea what kind of cable I can use to bring those drives online. ? The LSI has the 74 pin:

image.thumb.png.f3539b01c9d4e0ec276754fa36c4fc0a.png

Using this cable to connect to the SAS3 expander:

image.thumb.png.da762d17139a2d34597d0913e2825e7d.png

Edited by enkrypt3d
On 8/24/2023 at 10:40 AM, JorgeB said:

If you mean a cable to connect the HBA to de two NVMe devices it needs to be a specific Broadcom cable, or it won't work, and it will use one of the HBA ports, the other could be used for HDDs.

CBL-SFF8643-SATASB-06M L5-00220-00 0.6m ü is the closest thing but I do not see one that has the 74 pin Slimline SAS on the other end. Never seen that 8 pin cable along with the 4 SATA ports... that is the type of cable that came with my chassis.

Also what is IT mode and do I need it? 

image.png.a5f366735c564522ec7cdd537bcb25fd.png

It appears that the only card that would work for those supermicro cables is this one but it's not worth spending $800 on it. This is the broadcom 9460 RAID card - which I don't even need a raid card with unraid..... so I guess the rear slots will be inop :(

But for the front SAS3 backplane, which supports NVME u.2/u.3, can I use the same cable above to plug into the white ports or do I only need the one plugged in? Right now I have one 74 pin cable coming from the card to 2 HD Mini SAS 4i SFF-8643's into the SAS3-826EL1-N4 backplane... 

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

What's the conector like on those?

So right now i have the 74 pin Slimline SAS to Mini HD SAS going to the backplane which is working. I have both connections to the black connections on the backplane. I'm assuming that is all I need. I don't yet have any U.2  drives as they're pretty expensive. Eventually I will though probably. 

image.png.29334529d64376781e8ec41ee2fad13f.png

I'm not familiar with that backplane but if I'm understanding correctly it can have 12 SAS/SATA devices or 8 SAS/SATA and 4 U.2 NVMe devices, the 4 NVMe devices need 4 wide connections just for them, the white connectors, and I believe the cable you have won't work, you need a specific NVMe enabled cable, like this one:

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, JorgeB said:

HP 12G SAS3 EXPANDER (761879-001)

Intel® SAS3 Expander RES3TV360

Thank you for this advice I'm going to look into these, I see one of them says it requires x8 slot but I've also heard that some expanders don't need to actually be connected to be physically connected to a pcie slot to work. I dont have any spare pcie slots at the moment and would need to remove my gpu to make space

6 minutes ago, Myriad Studios LDN said:

but I've also heard that some expanders don't need to actually be connected to be physically connected to a pcie slot to work

That's correct, but some need the power from a PCIe slot, unless you a USB to PCIe riser for example.

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's correct, but some need the power from a PCIe slot, unless you a USB to PCIe riser for example.

Ok so I would just get Intel® SAS3 Expander RES3TV360 and connect it to some other form of power and be good to go mount it safely on the case back panel and be ready to go. Can that also support any nvmes but with the right cables and while I'm at it I have two x1 slots in my motherboard and bought these for them 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08J2PK1HF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

47 minutes ago, Myriad Studios LDN said:

Ok so I would just get Intel® SAS3 Expander RES3TV360 and connect it to some other form of power and be good to go mount it safely on the case back panel and be ready to go.

Correct.

48 minutes ago, Myriad Studios LDN said:

Can that also support any nvmes but with the right cables and while I'm at it I have two x1 slots in my motherboard and bought these for them 

Not AFAIK.