ZPS Pool on Removable SSD via Unassigned Devices

Go to solution Solved by wacko37,

I have setup a ZFS pool on my server which was straight forward without any issues thanks to SpaceInvader One (what a legend)

I like to keep offline backups of my data and not go down the path of having a ZFS drive on the main array, so my goal was to setup a ZFS pool via a usb SSD mounted in Unassigned Devices which I have successfully setup and then used ZFS master to create a dataset so I can ZFS replicate function to the SSD.

My issue is I cannot unmount the device after a dataset is created, which leads me to thinking it is not possible to having a ZFS dataset without an active OS  managing it.

Have I missing something here, or am I correct in thinking an active OS is required and therefore cannot be mounted/unmounted when required?

Edited by wacko37
  • Solution

@JorgeB Thankyou for your time - I've solved this 1, Basically it was due to bad naming of the zPool.

I used spaces in name when formatting in Unassigned Devices, once mounted, Unraid placed underscores in place of the spaces which then lead to the issue of not being able to unmount with the error being "Cannot determine Pool Name"

It also stopped the system from rebooting which resulted in a hard reset (i'm guessing due to the zfs pool hanging)

Once I removed the spaces my next big mistake was naming the 1st dataset the same name as the zpool device, this lead to all the same issues I had before (unable to mount this time and again could not reboot, stuck on "syncing filesystem")

Now that I named the zpool "ZFS--BACKUP--SSD" and my dataset to "Cache-mirrored----Backup" I can mount and unmount until the cows come home!