Major hardware upgrade - need guidance

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Fixing to completely swap all hardware on my current UnRaid 8 bay system.  The only things I plan to keep from the original system are the original USB boot drive, the HBA LSI controller in IT mode with its associated array and parity hard drives.  If I wire the HBA controller and the hard drives in the same order as original system, would the USB config boot recognize my drives and keep the array intact?  I would hate to move data manually. 

• Solution
28 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

Fixing to completely swap all hardware on my current UnRaid 8 bay system.  The only things I plan to keep from the original system are the original USB boot drive, the HBA LSI controller in IT mode with its associated array and parity hard drives.  If I wire the HBA controller and the hard drives in the same order as original system, would the USB config boot recognize my drives and keep the array intact?  I would hate to move data manually. 

If the drives were on the LSI controller on the old system and will also be on the new system then order is irrelevant.    Unraid recognises drives by serial number - not by where they are connected.   There is only ever a problem if as part of the upgrade the controller type is changed and this results in the disk getting presented differently to the host.  Most likely to happen when RAID controllers are involved rather than simple HBA ones.