DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED - SMART looks ok, what can I do ?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello, one of my disks just went disabled (DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED). I looked at SMART diag and from my amateur eye I couldn't see anything; but I don't really know what to look for. So I'm asking for some wise people help.

Also I'd like to understand better what is happening because my server looks like it's running fine. When UNRAID says content is emulated does that mean it build missing files (from the disabled disk) on the fly ? I don't understand how my VMs are running if I miss 1/3 of my filesystem.

Here are some facts or things I tried that could help:

• The disabled disk is still hot (maybe a bit less than the others; not sure).
  • I tried swapping sata and power cables with another disk, but the situation is the same with the same disk.
  • Probably irrelevant, but my disks are all 99%full (60G over 8TB free on each)

I'm attaching a SMART and instance diags that I ran just after a reboot. Thanks a lot for your time.

unraid-diagnostics-20230911-1200.zip unraid-smart-20230911-1159(1).zip

• Solution

Disk has pending sectors and a failed SMART test, it should be replaced.

21 minutes ago, oursondechine said:

When UNRAID says content is emulated does that mean it build missing files (from the disabled disk) on the fly ?

Yes, it uses parity plus the other disks to emulated the missing disk's content.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, oursondechine said:

I have one more question; what about written data ? How can it not fail to write ?  Is unraid smart enough to put everything on other

Not quite sure I understand your question?   If you write to an 'emulated' disk then parity is updated appropriately so that Unraid can continue to emulate the disk correctly (including the new data just written).

• Upvote 1