(6.11.5) Week long parity check. Help!

MaximusFSU

Hey all.

Built my first unraid server about 3 months ago using a mix of some new, and some older (4 years) drives.  Been LOVING it so far.  First parity check after I transferred everything went off without a hitch.  Took a day or two I think.  After that I set it up to run parity checks every 3 months.  But just yesterday I home from a vacation to THIS... 2103296643_Screenshot2023-09-11at8_27_16AM.thumb.png.0bf5c3eb8dc50626a69cd8d649a44067.png

The errors were concerning enough, but the time also seemed VERY long for a single 16TB parity drive.  Note: I did not pause it myself... but I have since resumed the operation and it's showing this now:

762011150_Screenshot2023-09-11at10_44_34AM.thumb.png.3ac55cf18172873fe60ffc1c98ca2ca8.png

I've been searching for troubleshooting best practices for long parity checks / errors and have only been finding a lot of specific use cases.  And not any standardized "start here, then check this..." type of best practices.  So I'm coming to all of you brilliant geniuses for help.  Clearly something is wrong, and I want to sort it before it becomes a bigger problem.  Logs attached.  Let me know if you need any other info.  Server is mostly used for Plex, the arrs, time machine backup for 3 macs, light nextcloud use, and a Blue Iris camera server, running in a Win 10 VM (on cache drive) writing video files to an unassigned surveillance drive.

Thanks in advance!!

normandy-diagnostics-20230911-1029.zip

Ah... It is possible that the problem is that I'm an idiot.  I may have set it up that way early on in my setup and forgot about it. 

So I guess the "6 days" is a bit misleading then.  it's really only been running for 6 hours per day.  So in reality it's only been really conducting the parity check for about a day and a half or so (~36 hrs)?  So it's not really taking longer than it should.

But the 3 errors should still be concerning, yes?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MaximusFSU said:

Hey there. Ran a correcting parity check which finished in a normal amount of time but those 3 errors are still there.  New diagnostics attached. Any help or guidance on next steps / best practices is appreciated. 

normandy-diagnostics-20230921-2102.zip 254.89 kB · 0 downloads

Your first correcting check will report the same number of errors as it lists the number of corrections it made.    Any subsequent checks (preferably non-correcting) should report zero.