how to force unraid to leave a 100GB free on disks

sohailoo

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Check the split level, it overrides allocation method.

if I'm understanding this correctly, "Automatically split any directory as required" which basically means "i don't care even if you put each episode on a different disk" is the best option for me and its already the one all shares use.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you want to guarantee having 100GB free then the Minimum Free Space value would need to be 100GB + largest size of file that will be cached as Unraid only stops writing files when at the start of a file the value is already less that the Minimum Free Space.

what about smaller files? if there's a bunch of 20GB files, wouldn't they be written to the disk even if it has less than 100GB? because this is exactly how this drive got filled

11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Configuration looks correct to me, you mentioned it's the mover only writing to the array, are you sure about this?

yes 100% sure. this is the only share that deals with downloads, cache pool is the primary storage and array is the secondary storage with mover action set to ssd_download --> Array. i made sure to double check if it is actually downloading to the cache pool and it sure is. only a couple of containers that download stuff there. all of them are set to download to /mnt/user/data/FolderName

Edited by sohailoo
11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Could there be some exiting files on the array? /mnt/user will write to the array if the file(s) already exist there, you an also try settings the downloads to /mnt/pool_name, in that case the mover will then fail to move any exiting files.

i'm not following. are you saying that if i set the download client to /mnt/user/data/, unraid will download files directly to array even though i set the primary storage for the data share to be the cache pool, secondary storage to the array, and mover action to pool_name --> array?

if that's what your saying then this is not whats happening to me. new downloaded files are downloaded to the cache pool and the mover running daily or when 70% full is moving them to the array.

i haven't really understood the existing files part so i'll explain how my torrents/folders are structured

• host path in the torrent container is set to "/mnt/user/data/torrents/"
  • container path is set to "/data/torrents"
  • the torrent client is set to download to "/data/torrents/seed" the "seed" folder has bunch of sub-folders (anime, movies, tv ....).
  • the torrent client creates a new folder for each torrent and put it into one of the sub-folders based on the category

hope this helps a little

19 hours ago, sohailoo said:

unraid will download files directly to array even though i set the primary storage for the data share to be the cache pool

Yes, but only if the file already exists, say you have a file named /mn/user/data/movie.mkv on the array, if you download a new file with the same name to that share, e.g. a better quality version, if will overwrite the exiting file, it won't be written to the pool, that's the only possibility I can think of to result in what you are seeing.

• Upvote 1
On 9/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, JorgeB said:

Yes, but only if the file already exists, say you have a file named /mn/user/data/movie.mkv on the array, if you download a new file with the same name to that share, e.g. a better quality version, if will overwrite the exiting file, it won't be written to the pool, that's the only possibility I can think of to result in what you are seeing.

oh if that's the case, then its not what's happening to me. all the files I'm downloading are completely different in name + size. the only thing that's similar is the path, /data/torrents/seed.