Question on Max Number of Drives

mrjofus1959

I've been running WHS for the past couple of years but recently had a major system "crash" that's likely due to my Areca controller.  At any rate my Googling has led me to the unRAID community and I'm seriously considering making the move from WHS based on what I've read so far.

Just one question for now - why is there a 20 drive limit?  Is that something that might change down the road?  I do have 22 drives on my current WHS setup and while I could cut back I was looking at a Highpoint 32-port SATA HBA.

Thanks!

20 is the current limit. It will probably go up in the future as it has in the past. It will not likely be raised until an option for a second parity drive has been implemented. Note that you can mix drives of any size so you can buy the largest drive that suites your budget and add it or upgrade an existing drive at any time.

it should be pointed out, it is limited to 20 drives in the protected array.

once you add the parity  drive and the optional cache drive, you are at 22 drives.

you can also have drives outside the protected array if you wish, perhaps for a dedicated application drive.

one other big change, your data size will be essentially doubled since unraid is array -1 for parity while WHSv1 is 1 to for replication of the pool. you will have 20 drives of data in unraid instead of 11 in WHSv1.

my WHSv1 became an unraid box. However, I do still run a whs2011 for client backup

20 is the current limit. It will probably go up in the future as it has in the past. It will not likely be raised until an option for a second parity drive has been implemented. Note that you can mix drives of any size so you can buy the largest drive that suites your budget and add it or upgrade an existing drive at any time.

This is not completely correct.

From this message from Tom: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15049.msg141577

"Finally, for those of you with huge servers, the number of storage devices recognized is increased to 26 - note there is NO increase in array width yet at this time, this is merely expanding the length of the drop-down box for assign drives on the Main page."

I think it is very likely that we will get 26 data drives long before we get second parity. But for now, we still have max 20 data drives.

Thanks to all for the replies.  I just got my first drive online and running first thing this morning (man it takes a LONG time to preclear a disk!) using the free basic version with just a data drive and no parity.  I copied a Blu-ray ISO to my new media server and tested playback and everything seems to be fine.  Then I had to go to work - dang!

Anyway I believe I'll move forward with the purchase of the Pro registration key and make the leap from WHSv1 to unRAID.  20 data drives should do fine for now.  I'll be getting my new Highpoint DC7280 32-port SATA HBA today so I'll install it this evening and reconnect my 1 data drive and do an 'initconfig' to make sure everything's still working before I move forward.

Thanks again!

Anyway I believe I'll move forward with the purchase of the Pro registration key and make the leap from WHSv1 to unRAID.  20 data drives should do fine for now.  I'll be getting my new Highpoint DC7280 32-port SATA HBA today so I'll install it this evening and reconnect my 1 data drive and do an 'initconfig' to make sure everything's still working before I move forward.

Thanks again!

Not all hardware works with unRAID.  PLEASE do a search on the forum to see if that HBA is compatible with unRAID.  If no one has reported using it it will likely be a shot in the dark if it will work.  Make sure the place you buy it from has a good return policy and please report back here if the card does indeed work correctly.

Thanks again!

Not all hardware works with unRAID.  PLEASE do a search on the forum to see if that HBA is compatible with unRAID.  If no one has reported using it it will likely be a shot in the dark if it will work.  Make sure the place you buy it from has a good return policy and please report back here if the card does indeed work correctly.

I definitely understand that is a risk at this point.  If it doesn't work I'll probably stick with WHSv1 for a time until it's supported by unRAID.  I just got tired of the Areca 1680ix-24 (which did work first shot with unRAID) and since I never used it for more than a JBOD controller I'm going to sell the damn thing.  And try not to think about all the money I wasted!  I will post back once I test the HP DC7280 this evening.  FYI my old Gigabyte mobo only has one PCIe slot, hence the desire for a high-count HBA.

Thanks!

.....FYI my old Gigabyte mobo only has one PCIe slot....

Please do a search of the forums for HPA. It is an issue with gigabyte motherboards that can cause unwanted headaches with unRAID.

an hour researching now might save you a lot of time later.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm using the GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo which I see others on the forum also using.  As best I can tell it does not have any sort of auto-HPA setup, but only a Windows-based utility called Xpress Recovery2 that would implement such a feature if the user desired.  Hopefully I'm reading that correctly?!

Bad news on the HBA front - the DC7280 is not recognized by unRAID as best I can tell.  I have a new thread started under Hard Drives and Controllers to track this:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15267.0

Archived