Liquid CPU Cooler without VM

CaputoDavide93

Hi All,

I'm thinking to upgrating my setup with Corsair iCUE H115i RGB ELITE Liquid CPU Cooler, however, I don't run any VM in my unraid and I rathen not spin up a VM just to control the fans speed and temperature.

• Can I have the same result using a docker container? Any app available ?
  • What happen if I don't configure or don't use the Corsair app to keep monitoring the temps?

Last but not least, if there is anther model or brand that can be managed by a docker or directly in Unraid I accept suggestions!

Many thaks in adavence,

Davide

Thankfully Corsair are usually cool with their hardware being controlled outside of their software.

ASUS, the worst offender make it very hard.

What I did was wire my fans to the individual fan headers on the motherboard and then set the curves in the BIOS.

It then controls itself and I don't need any other VM's or messing to keep the system cool.

Sorry I cant give you direct instructions but should help you think of other options.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, CaputoDavide93 said:

I'm thinking to upgrating my setup with Corsair iCUE H115i RGB ELITE Liquid CPU Cooler,

If your rig is in an occupied room and not left running unattended, go for it.

If, however, your machine is not 100% supervised while it's running, I'd strongly suggest not doing liquid cooling. If something goes wrong, you need to be very quick to spot the issue and shut down the machine. The amount of thermal mass available to keep the CPU cool is very tiny if the pump quits or the liquid quits circulating, meaning almost instant severe overheating. Plus, slow liquid leaks are very bad for electronics, so liquid cooled rigs need regular direct observation to make sure things are always sealed tight and running well.

Liquid cooling is awesome for desktop blinged out gaming rigs, not so great for servers left running constantly and largely out of sight.

A big heavy heatsink with even a completely stopped fan can keep a CPU safe for long enough to notice the elevated temperatures assuming any case airflow from other fans.