Is my Docker usage size reasonable given my containers?

Majawat
Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

• Solution
On 9/23/2023 at 1:40 PM, Majawat said:

With how many dockers I have, is this a reasonable size? I keep bumping up against the "warning" amount of 95% at 20GB total then "normal" levels.

It's not so much how many, but which ones specifically, and what paths are being written to by the apps inside the containers. The app paths aren't something that is viewable in Unraid, you must look at the app's internal configurations and verify that any path storing data that needs to be persistent is mapped to a spot on the array or appdata. The mappings are easily viewable using the Unraid GUI, but the internal app paths to compare them to aren't.

All that said, your screenshot doesn't have anything that jumps out at me as bad, you just have some hefty containers. I'd bump up to 30GB and keep an eye on things, if the sizes stay relatively the same over several weeks you are good. Every time a container is updated, the newly installed parts are added to the image, then the newly unused parts are removed. It's the time between downloading the updates and cleaning things up that causes the warning when you are close to the size limit. Filling the image can be fatal though, so it's wise to keep a healthy margin of free space for the update process, and keep an eye on it to make sure the usage isn't creeping up over time.

45 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

All that said, your screenshot doesn't have anything that jumps out at me as bad, you just have some hefty containers. 

That is all a ton of useful information, I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for the sanity check. I'm pretty sure the internal paths are all ok, so I think You're right on them just being hefty.