Advice on fixing Device Error

kenzo86
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all,

I've just returned from holiday and noted server was off, likely due to a power cut. I switched the server back on and drive 1 of 8 (only drive being filled atm) has a red cross - emulated but disabled.

Smart report showed UDMA CRC error counts – I noted this 2–3 months ago, e.g count of 16, now 1000ish. ?dodgy mini-sas cable? (edited)

I've done another quick smart check - "Completed without error"  and done a read check

I've put the server into maintenance mode (xfs array) and did a check on the affected drive with "-n" flag, I then removed "-n" and re-ran it to repair. No obvious errors shown.

I then unassigned the drive, started server, then stopped, re-assigned the drive from drop down and restarted server. It ran a parity and then threw out read errors / udma crc errors etc - and still shows as emulated

1) I've ordered new mini sas 8087 cables for hba (replace cheap cables that came with it). Other than this, is there anything else i should be doing / should have done??

2) Do I repeat the above steps after changing the cables?

Smart log

https://paste.quest/?05c43af72a2bf856#BmRZYzEi8EikFQ2MP5NyRtzsggiGdxdDvgKp7MiyNBBy

System log attached

Drive check report attached

Screenshot_2023-09-29-08-32-57-78_c4285afc7bcba3cb8928df3c5c98e059.jpg

tower-syslog-20230929-1040.zip

Edited by kenzo86
14 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Looks more like a power/connection issue, try again after replacing the cables, also check power, and make sure the emulated disk is still mounting before rebuilding on top.

Thanks for helping.

Cable comes this evening, I will try again and post back.

How do I check to see that power isn't a contributing factor?