Not worth the money. Fairly unhappy with my purchase.

ccowin

I just am somewhat upset with my decision to purchase unraid. In hind sight and if anyone in the future asks my recommendation I'll point them to Proxmox, the price just is not worth the very minimal level of improvement in quality.

Unraid has just been incredibly fragile, hard to understand what the problem is when there is a problem, and just incredibly time consuming. Every day it seems I'm spending more time figuring out what has randomly just stopped working with no explanation. One day my VMs just stop booting and I have no idea why, the next day my entire Docker configuration somehow gets corrupted and I have to redownload and set up everything.

This honestly feels like open source software level of quality but with a $60 price tag. One of the biggest "features" unraid offers is essentially done for Lime by the users through the community applications. I truly don't understand how Lime feel comfortable advertising that this software "supports" GPU passthrough when in my experience with multiple different GPUs it takes HOURS of tinkering, watching youtube videos, and messing with XML files to get it to work correctly and then will just break at the drop of a hat.

Didn't see anywhere to leave feedback so I did it here.

On 10/11/2023 at 6:22 PM, ccowin said:

Didn't see anywhere to leave feedback so I did it here.

Your experience is not the norm, although, admittedly, GPU pass through is often more art than science.  There are clearly some underlying configuration/hardware problems if you are seeing so many issues.

My Unraid configuration has been mostly stable for 12 years.  Yes, every once in a while an issue pops up that requires a workaround until a more permanent solution is available.  I can count on one hand how many times that has happened for me.  I do not do hardware pass through on any of my Unraid servers so I have never needed to wrestle with that and can't help you with that issue.

On 10/11/2023 at 6:22 PM, ccowin said:

Docker configuration somehow gets corrupted and I have to redownload and set up everything

Download and setup of docker containers is not necessary if you installed them via the Apps tab.  You can just reinstall them through the Previous Apps function in Apps and they come back with prior configuration intact.

I have not reviewed your posting history so I do not know if you have posted diagnostics and asked for help with the issues you have experienced.  If not, that is a good idea but it is usually better to work on one issue at a time if you have multiple issues.  I sincerely hope you can get things resolved to your satisfaction.