Parity drive setup questions

gssdu
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm using 6.12.4.

When I selected the parity drive during device assignment, it just disappeared. There didn't seem to be a way to review or change the assignment.

I went ahead and assigned array and pool devices, started the array and formatted everybody. Things look normal (green dotws everywhere) except that there's no sign of the parity drive.

On the Dashboard tab, under Parity, it says Parity disks not present.

On the Main tab, there's no sign of the parity disk. Under Array Operation, it says Started with the orange triangle exclamation mark and the hover text says Started, array unprotected.

Tools, System Devices, SCSI Devices is the only place I see the parity disk.

Is this normal? Is this just what it's like when the initial parity build is in progress?

8 minutes ago, gssdu said:

I'm using 6.12.4.

When I selected the parity drive during device assignment, it just disappeared. There didn't seem to be a way to review or change the assignment.

I went ahead and assigned array and pool devices, started the array and formatted everybody. Things look normal (green dotws everywhere) except that there's no sign of the parity drive.

On the Dashboard tab, under Parity, it says Parity disks not present.

On the Main tab, there's no sign of the parity disk. Under Array Operation, it says Started with the orange triangle exclamation mark and the hover text says Started, array unprotected.

Tools, System Devices, SCSI Devices is the only place I see the parity disk.

Is this normal? Is this just what it's like when the initial parity build is in progress?

No.  

It looks like the parity drive must have dropped offline.   It is worth checking the power and SATA cabling to the drive.   You may have to power cycle the server to get the drive back online.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

No.  

It looks like the parity drive must have dropped offline.   It is worth checking the power and SATA cabling to the drive.   You may have to power cycle the server to get the drive back online.

It shows up in lsblk, so I'm pretty sure the power and connection are good. Looks like it doesn't have a partition like all of the other drives do though. I will post diagnostics as soon as I learn how to do that.

WD have agreed to issue an RMA.

My only remaining question is should I (whilst waiting for the replacement drive) proceed to populate the array with data, and add the parity drive later, or should I wait for the parity drive to be in place before adding the data? Or does it not make a difference?