New Config - What exactly does it do?

No problems here to resolve.  Just a question that has me curious.

Today I updated my array.  Removed some 8TB drives, moved the 16TB parity to data and installed a new 18TB parity drive.  All is good, and parity is currently rebuilding.  Used the New Config tool, obviously something one doesn't use often. 

It got me wondering - What exactly does this tool do?  I did note it did a few things I did not expect.  It reset the file system from XFS to Auto, reset the notification temperatures and spin down times.  Just wondering if someone in the know could give me a quick run down on its function and things it affects/updates.

I'm one of those folks who likes to know how things work vs what to do to make things work.

Thank you for the reply, but I am aware of the purpose of New Config.  I am hoping for a bit more specific insight as to the specific settings/configurations it changes.  I'm sure I am not alone when I say it is a bit stressful when reconfiguring an array holding many TB of data.  Knowing what happens behind the scenes is always a good thing.

7 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

I am hoping for a bit more specific insight as to the specific settings/configurations it changes.

May be missing something, but basically it clears the array slots and it sets back to default: spin down, default fs, shutdown timeout, poll_attributes, and any custom temps or SMART settings.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ConnerVT said:

I am hoping for a bit more specific insight as to the specific settings/configurations it changes.

Any exported disk shares will also be removed.  I think the key takeaway is all disk settings are reset to defaults.  I had similar experience recently realizing it did more than reset drive assignments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...