[6.12.4] One share needed on both array as in pool.

I'm trying to get a share to exist on the array and at the same time on a cache pool. So that my array protects the files and that I can work with the files from the pool for fast acces. This should lower the wear and tear on the mechanical drives and cut down on my power usage at the same time (kWh prices are high). My feeling is that I'm just missing a setting of some sort. I've already setup a protected cache pool share for my appdata and a non protected cache pool for incomming files to be written to the array later on.

And yes I need all the files on the cache and not a portion. Otherwise I would still be using the mech drives to much. 

Once a day mover could sync the data. One day of work lost is acceptable. 

56 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Just to be clear - any particular file can exist EITHER on a pool OR on the array - not both.

If that means that I have to have a duplicate of the entire share. I'm fine with that.

57 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you want new files to go to a pool and later get moved to the array then set up the pool as primary storage and the array as secondary storage, and the mover direction to be pool->array.

I need the complete share to be available to me without having to spin up the drives. Letting mover update the array in the night if there are any changes made.

Just now, Black_SwanNL said:

I need the complete share to be available to me without having to spin up the drives. Letting mover update the array in the night if there are any changes made.

That is not an option using standard Unraid as the files cannot exist in more than one place so mover would not do what you want.

What you CAN do is write a script that runs at scheduled intervals (e.g. overnight) to backup from pool to a location on the array.   This is in effect what the appdata backup plugin does for the appdata share.

39 minutes ago, itimpi said:

What you CAN do is write a script that runs at scheduled intervals (e.g. overnight) to backup from pool to a location on the array.   This is in effect what the appdata backup plugin does for the appdata share.

Any help with that is much appreciated because my brain is running circles for a while now.

• 5 months later...

For anyone needing a very basic manual backup to the main array, this is what I use:

• Download the NerdTools and the User Scripts plugin
  • Go to Settings -> NerdTools and check the rclone package. Click apply
  • Create a new User Script in Settings -> User Scripts and modify that script according to your needs:
  • #!/bin/bash

rclone copy /mnt/user/<origin-share>/ /mnt/user/<backup-share> --backup-dir /mnt/user/<backup-share>/old-$(date -Is)
  • Set it to run daily (or whatever you prefer

NOTE: You can omit the --backup-dir option. More info: https://rclone.org/docs/#backup-dir-dir