Do you ever feel like you want to have a fresh start but have way too much data/dependencies?

takkkkkkk

Having no background in ITPro, I've found immense value in videos from creators like ibracorp and Spaceinvader One. They provide just enough guidance to help me navigate the complexities. Despite their help, I often find myself confused about what exactly is happening under the hood especially when it comes to networking or authnetication. For instance, I'm using cloudflared, and while I believe it's set up correctly, I'm unsure about which aspects are default Unraid configurations and which ones I've modified.

Considering the new ZFS compatibility and the fact that I've maxed out my 24 drive bays, I've contemplated starting over. I want to understand the rationale behind my actions—distinguishing between what I need to do and what I do merely because there's a tutorial available.

However, I'm hesitant because of the numerous dependencies likes files, HA VM, videos, and Windows/Linux VMs. I'm unsure of the potential issues that might arise if I decide to "redo" everything.

I'm at a crossroads. What should I do next? Do you have any recommendations? Should I just rip off the band-aid, expecting to rough it until I've reconfigured everything, or should I adopt a hands-off approach, maintaining my server's current state and only intervening when something breaks?

Neither. Build a new box and start learning while slowly transitioning things. Granted, it may be a while before you can justify the added cost, but it will happen sooner or later that you will need new parts anyway, so why not keep the old services in place while adding functionality at your own pace to the new box.

When you get done you will have the old power hog you can use as an occasionally on backup box, and the new shiny energy efficient box as your always on machine.

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Neither. Build a new box and start learning while slowly transitioning things. Granted, it may be a while before you can justify the added cost, but it will happen sooner or later that you will need new parts anyway, so why not keep the old services in place while adding functionality at your own pace to the new box.

When you get done you will have the old power hog you can use as an occasionally on backup box, and the new shiny energy efficient box as your always on machine.

That may be true, but I love my GA-7pesh2 though, I haven't been able to find right alternative to it.