Yet another 'disks spin up for no reason' thread

Hi all

I consider myself a reasonably experienced UNRaid user and I have googled and read a lot of reddits and forum posts regarding similar issues, however, I've stumped myself and not sure what to investigate next.

My UNRaid box has been stable and reasonably regularly updated over the last couple of years without major issues. There have been few hardware changes but the latest (moved to a different case) occurred months before this issue began.

As the post title suggests, a couple of disks in my small array will randomly spin up, usually including parity, despite this no counter increases are observed under reads or writes. The open files plugin does not show any files on the array are open. My appdata, system and VMs live on cache only volumes.

As an experiment, I shutdown all my VMs and stopped all my containers. Manually spun down all drives, reset the counters and left the machine alone for several hours. Lo and behold the Parity and Disk 1 drives were spinning, yet reads/writes counters remained zero.

I know SMART read happens after spin up, but during this experiment SMART polling interval was set to 0.

There are no PCs or Macs running on my network at the moment, I am accessing UNRaid remotely (my servers) and no one else is home or on my home network

Diags attached, thoughts appreciated

unraid-diagnostics-20231026-1337.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...