Crash Unraid : Serveur kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Unexpected DP dual mode adaptor ID 7f

Hi everybody,

First, I am french so sorry for my approximate English.
I need your help and advise because my unraid stop working every day after a certain period of time.
I have unraid for a little more than year. It is installed on a new computer and it worked pretty well until lately.
Since September my server stop working almost every day. Unraid become unreachable after a certain period of time (the computer still works but not unraid).
In syslog the error happens almost every minute is : "Serveur kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Unexpected DP dual mode adaptor ID 7f"
I am not sure it is the main cause that make unraid stop working but I think this error is not normal.

I read many subjects in this Forum about this type of error and tried many things without sucess : downgrade version, blacklist I915, change i915.conf, change parameter in bios...
I saw somewhere that it might probalbly be a linux kernel error but what can I do ?
I think I can do without the IGPU but even without the IGPU the error stil happen

Motherboard : Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MAG B560 TORPEDO (MS-7D15) , Version 2.0
Last bios version
Processor : Intel® Core™ i5-10400T CPU @ 2.00GHz
Memory : 32 GB 
IGPU : UHD 630

This might not be a problem of docker or VM beacause even if I do not start any of them, the error still happen.
PLease find enclosed my syslog and diagnosis.

I have a domotic system in unraid so that a big problem for me if unraid does not work corectly.

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvain

syslog.txt serveur-diagnostics-20231030-1143.zip

Hi JorgeB,

Thanks for quick reply and help.

Meanwhile, I tried to downgrade to 6.12.2 almost 2 days ago and I had no crash until now. We will see....

But thanks for your tips and I will run memtest.

If syslog does not tell everything, is there any other tools to know what is going on ?

Sylvain

Just for information, after downgrading to version 6.12.2 unraid works more than 4 days before crashing. But as Jorge suggest the error "ERROR* Unexpected DP dual mode adaptor ID 7f" might not be the cause my servers stops responding. That is very annoyable to have my server stop working. Is there a tools that might help me to find the problem  ? Thnks for your help

I got some weird behavior regarding to i915 to on a new motherboard - but that was during boot and unraid did not even get to the boot-selection menu: Turned out I used incompatible memory (kingston hyperx) although memtest86 ran over 24h without any errors. I replaced the memory with cheap-ass memory and did not have any error after. My kernel warning were ofc different but it might be an idea - if you got some spare memory laying around - the swap out and see what happens. You could check if the memory you are using is in the compatibility-list for the board you are using.

• 4 months later...

Hi - I have been getting the same messages in syslog every minute or so since 6.11.* (wasn't the case with 6.10.?). It really seems to be an i915 driver issue.

I was hoping for newer unraid versions including new kernels would fix it but they haven't (I am now happily running 6.12.8).

Following a tip in another thread I have installed the plugin "Intel i915 SR-IOV" (which installs an updated i915 driver), and it worked ! No error messages anymore. The plugin is labeled as "highly experimental" though... hopefully the new driver will end up making it into the linux kernel.