[6.12.4] Docker service crashes constantly, Server unusable until restart

Hello all,

I can't get any further with my Unraid server. And I just can't find the error. This is where it gets a little longer, I've been tinkering with my server a lot again lately. 

The server or the Docker service seems to hang regularly.  First thing was apparently my USB stick was broken, which I restored afterwards with a backup on a new USB.

Then I installed some new Docker containers the other day and since then these errors have been happening. The newly installed Docker containers are Treafik, Authentic, Authentic Worker, Crowdsec, Crowdsec Treafik Bouncer, and Code Server.

At some point I notice that I can't connect through my domain and see an error in the log of Traefik. When I try to restart Traefik I get the error: "Execution Error: Server Error". And then nothing works anymore. Only after a restart of Unraid everything works again. I also deleted my Docker image and then recreated it.

I have added two logs. The one at the end 1020 is the log until the crash. The one with 1048 at the end is the log directly after a restart with all containers and co. running again.

Many thanks in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20231031-1048.zip tower-diagnostics-20231031-1020.zip

Oct 31 04:41:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
Oct 31 04:41:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: Failed to read block 0x7effc0: -5
Oct 31 04:42:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
Oct 31 04:42:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: Failed to read block 0x7effc0: -5
Oct 31 04:42:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt

These usually mean flash drive issues, also a good idea to run memtest.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:
Oct 31 04:41:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
Oct 31 04:41:13 Tower kernel: SQUASHFS error: Failed to read block 0x7effc0: -5

These usually mean flash drive issues, also a good idea to run memtest.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will run the memtest later, as I am currently still at work.

The USB stick is actually brand new, I replaced it less than a week ago. The previous one was broken. 

Should I replace it again after the memtest?

But could it also be the ports from the motherboard? I've also been researching for days actually, but every solution so far hasn't worked.

You could also try rewriting the bz* type files as descibed here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

Hello again,

On 10/31/2023 at 12:33 PM, JorgeB said:

Make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port, if memtest doesn't find any errors and those errors continue I would replace the flash drive again.

so I have run the memtest86. It did not go through the Unraid USB stick at boot time. I used an extra stick for it and downloaded the software directly from the memtest86 website. The memtest86 finished successfully with the following message: "Test result: PASS (Errors: 0)". Also, the USB stick was previously plugged into a 3.0 port. This is now on a USB 2.0 port. 

On 10/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, itimpi said:

You could also try rewriting the bz* type files as descibed here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

I also replaced the bz* files as described in the linked guide.

If the error occurs again I will contact you. Before it always took a few days after a reboot.

In parallel i had the exact same issue... My docker service crashed every 3-4 hours (out of sudden) and i had to reboot the whole machine to bring it back up.

On Tuesday night, i did a memtest (no errors found), checked the stick with Windows Health Utility and the MacOS Health Utility (no Errors Reported) and finally replaced the .bz files on  the stick itself. Since then, everything runs stable and i did not have any problem anymore. 

Hello,

It has happened again. Everything has been running smoothly since my last message. But just now I wanted to access my domain again, but the error returned that the page is not accessible. Strangely enough, the local access still works, although the message "No Docker Container installed" appears in the Docker tab. Docker Services is also shown as started in the settings.

I added the Diagonse directly again. But it seems to be the same message again.

Edit: Diagnostics 1744 is befor the reboot. The 1754 has been automatically generated with the reboot.

tower-diagnostics-20231107-1744.zip

tower-diagnostics-20231107-1754.zip

Edited by dr_redtec
25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Still seeing the errors that point to a flash drive problem, you can also try booting in safe mode and/or closing any browser windows open to the GUI, only open when you need to use it then close again.

Okay, thanks again for the quick reply.

Then I will close all GUIs, I always have the GUI open out of habit.

I will also replace the USB stick with a completely new one. I have ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow or the day after.