Community-Driven decentralized backups.

MrSliff

Just had this idea, could not find this anywhere.

Some of you maybe know SIA, a decentralized cloud based storage, where everybody can rent and provide decentralized storage. I like this idea.

Maybe there are other people around, which want to back up some stuff, but dont want to rely on one provider. I back up my stuff externally on a Storage Box at Hetzner. But its like a "single point of failure". Sure i have backups locally too, but i would be more calmed, if i knew, there is some backup somewhere else.

For example my Bitwarden-Safe and very important documents.

I already spread them a bit (locally, encrypted USB drives, external backup), but what if everything close would get lost?

So maybe there are ppl who like to share some GB of their storage to each other?

5 hours ago, Michael_P said:

That's a no from me

Yea i can understand this. There is some trust you have to put into this from both sides to either not try to decrypt the backups or to not store any criminal stuff on the other side. You have no control over the data other than encrypting it.

But i really like the idea of solutions like SIA, store your data decentralized all over the world in a Raid-Like protected storage. The problem is, there is no solution yet to natively bind your storage as a volume or disk. Like mounting via rclone or fuse.

Edited by MrSliff