Repeated disk errors (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I've had a repeated issue with disks being disabled on my server going back some years (there's a few pretty support topics all for the same thing). Each time the conclusion would be that the drives look fine and to check data/power cables. The drives that got disabled would always be 1 of the 12TB drives I have in the system.

Having had the drive be disabled again I recently bought a new 12TB Seagate drive to swap out to see if the problem continued with a new drive. It did and the new drive got disabled not long after I put it in.

My question was therefore going to be what should I look to replace. I've swapped the cables from my controller round previously but it's always the 12TB drives that get disabled. Could the PSU itself be struggling? Does the capacity of a drive make any difference in terms of power consumption? Something else within the system itself?

I've been meaning to look at this this week but this morning I received a health report advising that my second parity drive now had (disk has read errors) [NOK]. The drive is still showing as enabled and all the files show when I browse to the shares although trying to open some files I think perhaps the emulated data is broken. Hopefully I'm able to recover the data from one of the data disks that have been disabled (the Seagate drive in the system and another 12TB WD Red drive previously disabled that I replaced with the Seagate.

Diagnostics attached.

The controller I'm using is a LSI SAS 9210-8i.

CPU is a intel i7 2600, 32GB of some RAM.

Really appreciate any advise/suggestions anyone can offer.

furnnet-servur-diagnostics-20231101-2038.zip

Edited by FattyDave18
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, JorgeB said:

I would try connecting the 12TB drives to the onboard SATA.

Great idea thank you.

Having done that with the 2 drives that were causing issues they have both now rebuilt the data/parity without being disabled. Which is a change from when they were on the HBA. The parity drive was very slow to build but maybe that's normal for 2nd parity drive.

Guess will have to wait and see what happens going forwards.

Thanks again

• FattyDave18 changed the title to Repeated disk errors (SOLVED)