First energy efficient build, Intel N100 or i3-12100

Iemand91

1 hour ago, foo_fighter said:

Unraid can run on Terramaster and Asustor(x64) without too much hackery. It comes by default on the lincstation.

For the Lincstation I was going to add 3.5" drives via a USB 10gbs JBOD, 10gbs should be enough for 4 drives, either that or use SATA extension cables to a 4 or 5 bay sata hot swap backplane(That's admittedly a bit of a hack).

Speaking of AOOSTAR, they announced 2 new NAS devices, available soon: https://aoostar.com/blogs/news/aoostar-pro-4-bay-nas-with-n100-n305-5700u-cpu

The TPU can be installed in a E.key right? some of these systems come with wifi-bt in as an E.key module.

Those AOOSTAR cases look really cool, both this new one and the previous one with 2 drive bays. Price not bad either (at least, the 2 bay one, this new one is unknown).

However, the 2 bay has only 1 M.2 slot so no option for TPU (when m.2 in use for SSD).

The 4 bay case maybe; you *can* fit a TPU in the E-key slot, but you likely need a special adapter that is not (yet?) available.

See: https://github.com/magic-blue-smoke/Dual-Edge-TPU-Adapter

And I wonder if you can make those system as power efficient (BIOS settings) like you can with a well known motherboard brand.

And last but not least; AOOSTAR does not ship to Europe.😒

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably a typo, but on Aliexpress there are some N100 NAS/cases with 2 M.2 slots, instead of only 1.

For example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006248195092.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3.60361ea3512QWF&algo_pvid=3bd61190-af04-4e4f-a5e8-8df7ba0ad013&algo_exp_id=3bd61190-af04-4e4f-a5e8-8df7ba0ad013-1&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!293.88!205.72!!!309.71!!%40211b600c17022409276411817e3216!12000036459523229!sea!NL!143974031!&curPageLogUid=FfMB5h4wJFTJ

Like I said, it's probably a typo or at least incorrect, since all those builds look the same, so some having 2 instead of 1 M.2 slot seems unlikely.

Would make those systems a lot more interesting (possibility for both a SSD and Coral TPU). 

Still some concerns with these cases, I've seen an "interesting" build quality picture, no idea if you can play with BIOS/C-state etc. settings to make it as power efficiënt as possible, and the idea of the N100 is powerfull enough (compared to the I3-12100).

So, I'm not *really* in a rush, so still looking around....

Edited by Iemand91

My tip for very efficient mainboard for 13th gen Intel CPU is Asus Pro H610T D4-CSM. See my post about my machine with idle: 2—3 W (whole PC with Intel i3-13100).

If you really want very low idle power consumption you need to make some compromises. Less hardware components => less power consumption.

Edited by bagican
  • Upvote 1

Yes, a 'bare' motherboard is often helpfull in making a power efficient system. That motherboard however has only 1 M.2. I would like to have 2, one for cache SSD and one for Coral TPU.

I saw this video today:

Again, N100 doesn't look al that power efficient. So basically, if you can stomach the extra cost for a I3 system, it would run just as efficient, if not better.