Unraid 6.12.4 problems using rsync to backup a folder from Fedora 39 to Unraid.

I'm using this rsync command to backup a folder from my server to the NAS:  rsync -avh --no-links --delete /data/myfolder /mnt/default_data

I keep getting this error message on every single file:

rsync: [generator] failed to set times on "/mnt/default_data/******************": Permission denied (13)
rsync: [generator] failed to set times on "/mnt/default_data/******************": Permission denied (13)

I'm running this as root on my server to unraid.  For some reason, there's permission issues even though the NFS share has 777 permissions.

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   5 Nov 15 11:55 default_data/

Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong?  All help is greatly appreciated.

I am confused and so I will ask some questions.

1-- From what computer is this command being run? 

2-- Is the NAS you refer to your Unraid server?  (I suspect it is...)

3-- Is the destination path---     /mnt/default_data    -- actually on your Unraid?  (Run this command to find out:) 

ls- al /mnt

If it's not, you would be attempting to create it and that may be your problem with permissions!  (I suspect that you will find that    /mnt/default_data     does not exist.  It should probably a sub-directory of one of the directories that you find listed with the command in question 3.)

Oh, one more thing, with the structure of the source directory,  The directory--   /myfolder   --will be created inside of default_data.  If you want only the contents of the directory copied, you will have to put a trailing slash (  /  ) on it ---i.e.,   /data/myfolder/   I am not sure what you want but rsync will allow either action to happen dictated by that slash...

Edited by Frank1940

To answer your questions.

1.  !'m running the command from a Fedora 39 Server.

2.  The NAS is Unraid.

3.  The destination path is mounted at boot time via fstab.  

It looks like this from the Fedora Server:

root@master-vm-server:/mnt# ls -lha
total 5.0K
drwxr-xr-x.  5 root root    61 Nov 12 16:19 .
dr-xr-xr-x. 23 root root  4.0K Nov 16 11:53 ..
drwxrwxrwx.  1   99 users    8 Nov 18 19:40 default_data

Destination path is /mnt/default_data on the Fedora Server

Source path is 192.168.1.x:/mnt/user/default_data on the Unraid NAS.

Not sure what you mean by myfolder in default_data on Unraid.  I've used the CLI on unraid and do not see a myfolder anywhere.

Have you tested to see that you can actually create a file in the default_data directory by using the touch command?

You might want to consider using the Unassigned Devices plugin on the Unraid server to set a connection to your Fedora computer.  Use the APPS tab on the GUI to find this plugin and look at the support thread for details on using it.   (It does a lot of the Linux grunt-work in the background to get things set up properly.)

I have a remote connection set up on one of my Unraid servers to the other Unraid server. (I am using SMB but Unassigned Devices can set up one for NFS as well..)  I use rsync to do the initial transfer of files (and the update of any new files) and it worked without a problem from the first time I tried.  (To be fair, I did a lot of research on rsync to figure the command line switches that I would need.)