Thinking of building an unRAID server

Shivers

About to order 2xHitachi 5400RPM 2TB Coolspins and a 4GB Sony Micro Vault.

Corrected the above.  Only Seagate makes 5900 RPM drives.  The rest are 5400 RPM.

The Hitachis are my favorite at the moment as well.

Until recently I thought the same thing about the Hitachis being 5400RPM.  According to this SPCR article these hitachi drives are actually 5900RPM.

Huh, didn't know that, thanks!

Hopefully my server arrives today, already got my USB stick :)..hard drives arrived today, Scan sent me 2xWD20EARX Sata3's instead of the Hitachi's by accident :(

Guessing I should probably just keep them though to save the hassle of sending stuff back and waiting again, especially if WD have bought out Hitachi?

Hopefully my server arrives today, already got my USB stick :)..hard drives arrived today, Scan sent me 2xWD20EARX Sata3's instead of the Hitachi's by accident :(

Guessing I should probably just keep them though to save the hassle of sending stuff back and waiting again, especially if WD have bought out Hitachi?

WD bought Hitachi because Hitachi makes a better drive.  The WD's haven't been as reliable from what I've seen.  Personally I'm scared of what WD will do to Hitachi's drives.

Well I finally got the server today, just home from work. I don't think I have a VGA cable so I can't hook it up to anything to get it setup :( (Guessing I can't do it all through my Mac Mini)....also need to find some HDD screws that I should have lying around. Sad times.

Archived