We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[SOLVED] Flash Drive Maintenance, Cleanup, De-Clutter?

bombz
Go to solution Solved by Squid,

Hello, 

Reaching out to ask if there is any tool/plugin, or recommended manual method to clean up the unraid flash drive of 'useless -or- old files'?

Over the years data has been added to the flash drive; reviewing the flash drive itself, it would seem there are some files/folders that (to me) don't seem necessary. However, not 100% sure if some of these files are required?

I may be overthinking this concern... and kindly requesting if there is a 'best practice' to slim down the data on the flash drive to clean it up.

Thank you.

Edited by bombz
  • Solution

About the only thing which would be to remove any excess folders from /config/plugins that are from plugins which no longer installed.  Realistically though, most plugins would automatically remove their directories (or should).  However, there are also "system" folders (eg: dockerMan) which cannot be removed

To get rid of excess templates for docker containers, go to Apps, Previous Apps and delete (check off and then delete) the ones which you are no longer / have no need for anymore

34 minutes ago, Squid said:

About the only thing which would be to remove any excess folders from /config/plugins that are from plugins which no longer installed.  Realistically though, most plugins would automatically remove their directories (or should).  However, there are also "system" folders (eg: dockerMan) which cannot be removed

To get rid of excess templates for docker containers, go to Apps, Previous Apps and delete (check off and then delete) the ones which you are no longer / have no need for anymore

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt follow-up. I am going to assume looking at flash\config\shares (.cfg.) files that any of these files that no longer exist can be removed or moved to a subfolder... i.e. flash\config\shares\archive ?

Also took note of flash\config\modprobe.d which is an empty directory, is there any use for this?

Thanks.

17 hours ago, itimpi said:

They can actually safely be deleted if those shares are no longer being used.

10-4.

I was looking at some previous backups of the flash drive and they were far larger, noticed some random files on the drive that have since disappeared (perhaps via version updates).
I will clean up what I can manually to keep the device in check.

Thank you again for your time!

• bombz changed the title to [SOLVED] Flash Drive Maintenance, Cleanup, De-Clutter?