New Router Doesn't See Server (SOLVED)

Drogon
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I finally added a dedicated router (TP-Link Deco) and put my Xfinity modem/router in bridge mode. Everything works as intended but I can't get my server connected to the new network. When the Xfinity box isn't in bridge mode and I have the server plugged into the Xfinity box, I can access it like I did previously. The connection is a reserved IP (which I'm pretty sure I set years ago in Unraid) and I think this is what's causing me problems. I'm not sure how to resolve the problem though. When the Xfinity box is in bridge mode, connected to the Deco, and the server is plugged into the Deco, I don't have access to the server at all. It isn't listed anywhere as a connected device even though it is physically connected to the Deco.

I think I have all relevant MAC addresses, IPs, etc., but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong or what I need to change to get my server recognized as a device on the new network. I can run both networks at the same time but I understand that isn't recommended due to double NAT. What settings do I need to change to get this resolved?

Edited by Drogon
  • Solution
Just now, Drogon said:

Both the Deco and Xfinity have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Does that mean this isn't the case or am I looking at the wrong field?

It is not the subnet mask that matters, but the first 3 bytes.   They need to be the same on the router that Unraid is connected to, and on the Unraid server.

• Drogon changed the title to New Router Doesn't See Server

I hate to bump this topic but I've been trying to set up Pihole and now I can't access the server again. I've removed the router from the equation and am using the original Xfinity box but it isn't finding the device either. I now understand that it won't find it if I'm on the wrong subnet, but as far as I know the subnet hasn't changed and I've never had any problems connecting to the server with the Xfinity box.

Even still, I assume the subnet is the problem so I've tried to find information about my server with arp -a and ipconfig/all but as best as I can tell there isn't anything from my server announcing. I tried using wireshark to find information but I probably did something incorrectly... I disabled wifi on a laptop and plugged the server directly into the laptop, then I monitored the connection. I sorted the results by filtering for the MAC address of my server but there were no results. Everything on the ethernet connection appears to be related to the laptop. At this point I just want to access my server. Any ideas? Restarting my server with an unclean shutdown isn't going to help... right?

Bummer... I do have it set up on Unraid. I don't think it was set to strict based on the behaviors listed but this gives me something to go on though. I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

EDIT: The initial problem is resolved. See this thread for the secondary issue.

Edited by Drogon
  • Drogon changed the title to New Router Doesn't See Server (SOLVED)