Can't access server, Unraid Connect says online

SPNKr
Go to solution Solved by SPNKr,

Hey all, been bashing my head against this for the past few hours.

Today I got a new drive, took the server outside, dusted it out with some compressed air, brought it back in, installed the drive, and haven't been able to access it since. The weird thing is that the unraid connect UI says it's online, I can find it with ping from another computer, and if I plug in a monitor it gets all the way through boot and I can login through the command line etc. I also can't access via windows or linux on the network.

Where things get weird is that I can't get into the GUI on the server either through booting with GUI or Safe Mode with GUI (this hangs on a black screen with a blinking cursor). I can boot the desktop, but Unraid opens a Firefox window going to the server's IP and it won't connect.

Here's what I've tried:
Rebooting
Switching Ethernet cables

Switching ports on my router/ switch
Remaking my USB and copying over the config folder

Deleting the Network files from the config folder
Unplugging all the drives

Remaking the USB again

Plugging the USB into multiple USB 2 (and 3) ports

Making a deal with the devil

More stuff I've probably forgotten

Anyone have any insight into this? I'm attaching the diagnostics zip if there's anything useful in there.

graveyard-diagnostics-20231128-1916.zip

Nov 28 19:11:22 Graveyard nginx: 2023/11/28 19:11:22 [emerg] 3687#3687: bind() to 127.0.0.1:445 failed (98: Address already in use)
Nov 28 19:11:22 Graveyard nginx: 2023/11/28 19:11:22 [emerg] 3687#3687: bind() to 192.168.50.217:445 failed (98: Address already in use)

See if this helps:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/140510-complete-webui-breakage-after-6120-update/?do=findComment&comment=1271735

14 hours ago, JorgeB said:
Nov 28 19:11:22 Graveyard nginx: 2023/11/28 19:11:22 [emerg] 3687#3687: bind() to 127.0.0.1:445 failed (98: Address already in use)
Nov 28 19:11:22 Graveyard nginx: 2023/11/28 19:11:22 [emerg] 3687#3687: bind() to 192.168.50.217:445 failed (98: Address already in use)

See if this helps:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/140510-complete-webui-breakage-after-6120-update/?do=findComment&comment=1271735

Tried changing the port and using the nginx reload command in that thread, but it didn't take.

I noticed that USE_SSL was set to no in the config file. Would that affect this?

I also tried booting into safe mode with GUI but it left me with the blinking cursor and non-reponsive. Strangely when I hit the powerbutton it printed the graceful shutdown text all the way through.

Thanks for helping out Jorge

Unfortunately no dice, I left it running in Safe Mode for almost half an hour and was still unable to connect to it in case something was initializing slowly.

I also went ahead and rebooted all of the networking stuff in my house (modem, router, etc).

I did notice that windows is able to detect the server on my network, but says there's nothing on the server when I click on it.

Have you tried connecting to http://192.168.50.217 which from the diagnostics looks like the IP address of your server?    

4 hours ago, SPNKr said:

I did notice that windows is able to detect the server on my network, but says there's nothing on the server when I click on it.

This would be because the array is not set to auto-start so until you get into the GUI to start it that is expected behavioyt.

Yeah, I've tried going through the direct IP.

I'm noticing now that this started on the same day as 6.12.5 coming out. I don't remember updating, but I might have.

I can't think of anything that would affect this on the router level, but is there anything you can think of that I might be missing?

Thanks for tagging in to help with this. I feel like I'm losing my mind

19 minutes ago, SPNKr said:

I'm noticing now that this started on the same day as 6.12.5 coming out. I don't remember updating, but I might have

According to the diagnostics you are now running 6.12.5. 

You could try reverting to your previous release by copying the contents of the ‘Previous’ folder on the flash drive back to the top level, or by using the process described here in the online documentation to see if that solves the issue.    

44 minutes ago, itimpi said:

According to the diagnostics you are now running 6.12.5. 

You could try reverting to your previous release by copying the contents of the ‘Previous’ folder on the flash drive back to the top level, or by using the process described here in the online documentation to see if that solves the issue.    

Just rolled back to 6.12.4 and no GUI.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:53 AM, itimpi said:

The next steps would be to put an 'clean' install of Unraid onto another USB (no licence needed) to see if that loads indicating something in your configuration.   You could try this for both the 6.12.4 and 6.12.5 releases.

Built a new USB and the server responds with GUI on the Trial version.

I'm guessing now the solution is to move the license to the new USB, and look into moving the Array setup and docker configurations over. (Please tell me moving Docker over is possible because if it's not I'm going to cry)

Edited by SPNKr
  • Solution

Going to go ahead and mark this as solved even though we never really figured out what happened.

I was able to get the server re-set up by creating a new Unraid USB and loading my old drives back into the server. The migration seems to have worked flawlessly (still waiting for the parity rebuild to finish up), and I didn't expect my docker containers to copy over but they did. So that's nice.

Thanks to Jorge and itimpi for helping out!

• Like 1