7dd+1Par Array - Power loss, one drive dead, array won't start

hinton
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi Unraid forums,

I've got a machine with an HBA card hosting 7 HDDs for the array + 1 HDD for parity.

It experienced a sudden power loss, and upon powering back up, one of the drives is dead. It makes a loud clicking noise and is not recognized by Unraid when plugged in. Note, I have not checked if it's recognized in BIOS because I'm assuming it's toast due to the sound.

Despite that being the only missing drive, I'm receiving the "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!" message and cannot start the array.

What do I do here to salvage data that was on this drive, considering I have parity?

prodesk-diagnostics-20231129-2125.zip

Edited by hinton
Added diagnostics

Ah, yes, Disk 5 was messed with, and I guess disabled(?), when I experienced a drive being read as another serial number. It's not really a part of the array and was disabled before parity was began. How do I move forward with that being the case?

Edited by hinton
clarification
  • Solution
4 minutes ago, hinton said:

Thanks, JorgeB.

I never created a new configuration when I had disk issues last year, due to ignorance of how arrays really work. Good learning opportunity here. I think it was only media on this disk - I hope it was only media.

Sounds as if you have been emulating that missing disk ever since without realising it 😒.  It is a common misconception that unassigning a disk is all that is required not realising that doing so will make Unraid treat it as a failed disk and start emulating it.   To stop this happening you need to follow the correct procedure to remove a disk from the array as documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Sounds as if you have been emulating that missing disk ever since without realising it 😒.  It is a common misconception that unassigning a disk is all that is required not realising that doing so will make Unraid treat it as a failed disk and start emulating it.   To stop this happening you need to follow the correct procedure to remove a disk from the array as documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

Yep... Thankfully all important personal data is constantly backed up with rsync. Media can be replaced.

Thanks for the resources here. Not making this mistake again 😝