Parity Sync SLOW!

Prowler
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi,

Upgrading my 10TB to 22TB parity

Done the usually pre clear successfully!

assigned the 22TB to parity 2 this morning before I left for work and upon my return its only at 0.2% in with an estimated 328 days till completion at 728KB/s.

is this normal? surely it shouldn't take a year!

Any help would be grateful!

• Solution
6 minutes ago, Prowler said:

So ive checked the sata cable, seems firmly in place!

But can hear a sound like the needle is bouncing then an audible tone like its trying re engage every 5 secs

What about the power to the drive?    The noises could be an indication of insufficient power.  Do you use power splitters to get enough connections - they can cause problems.   You could try swapping the power cables with another drive to see if the problem stays with the drive or moves with the cable change.

2 minutes ago, Prowler said:

the disks are in a tower unit with a hot swap front, so only 1 cable providing the power to the unit, then individual sata cables coming from the back plate to the mother board

Can you swap the disk to another position?     Unraid does not care where drives are connected as it identifies them by serial number.

Just now, Prowler said:

ok, will look into this!

so i need to cancel the parity sync that im currently doing?

Yes - it is going to take forever.    I normally expect it to take ~2 hours per TB as a rule of thumb so MUCH quicker than you are currently getting.

Before doing anything you might want to have a quick look at the syslog (via button at top right of GUI to see the continual reset on ata2 (which is the parity2 drive) as that shows you the symptom in the log when you have such an issue.

3 minutes ago, Prowler said:

ok thanks,

i wont have to do another pre clear surely?

No.   A parity sync overwrites everything on a drive so existing contents are irrelevant.

As a point to note a preclear is never NEEDED.   It is just often done as a confidence check on a drive.   You might find this section of the online documentation that discusses this to be of interest.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

What about the power to the drive?    The noises could be an indication of insufficient power.  Do you use power splitters to get enough connections - they can cause problems.   You could try swapping the power cables with another drive to see if the problem stays with the drive or moves with the cable change.

Thankyou for all the help! Was definitely a power issue. Moved the drive to a independent power supply and were moving along quite rapidly now.