Server crashing after 6.12 update

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Yesterday I updated to 6.12.5 from 6.11.

Everything seemed to go fine, but when I got home from work the server had crashed.
I reset it and it was running fine... I watched a movie from Plex and then went to bed, then today when I woke up it had crashed again.

There has been no major changes to the system. Hardware is the same and plugins were updated before the OS update but that's it.

I have attached the diagnostics to this post.
Syslog server was not enabled during the first 2 crashes but its on now (however it doesn't seem to be writing anything to the 

Local syslog folder).

tower-diagnostics-20231203-1532.zip

• Solution
Dec  5 17:41:37 Tower kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x10a/0x150 [macvlan]
Dec  5 17:41:37 Tower kernel: ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x14/0x29
Dec  5 17:41:37 Tower kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xbc/0x12f [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

I did see that in the patch notes, but a couple of things stopped me from changing it.

1 - Unless the setting was changed when I updated to 6.12, its been macvlan for ages and never been a problem. I figured (perhaps incorrectly), its not caused a problem in the past so why change it.

2 - The "help" says "The ipvlan type is best when connection to the physical network is not needed.". Maybe in interpreting that incorrectly but my containers are a combination of host / bridge and one is br0 and has its own IP address.
I was worried that by changing it to ipvlan I might break something so I just left it.

I'll give it a shot though and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, DarkMain said:

Unless the setting was changed when I updated to 6.12, its been macvlan for ages and never been a problem.

It's fairly typical for users that never had issues before having them after an upgrade, and not just with 6.12, it's been a thing for a long time.

1 hour ago, DarkMain said:

2 - The "help" says "The ipvlan type is best when connection to the physical network is not needed.". Maybe in interpreting that incorrectly but my containers are a combination of host / bridge and one is br0 and has its own IP address.
I was worried that by changing it to ipvlan I might break something so I just left it.

They should still work, but if you want to keep macvaln you can (with 6.12.4+), but need to disable bridging for eth0, see the release notes.