Syslog cannot create syslog files - open error: No space left on device

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have been experiencing an issue where my unraid server will become unresponsive after I upgraded to 6.12.6.

In troubleshooting this, I'm attempting to configure the syslog server to write to a share by following the guide in the FAQ.

However, I am seeing this error in the log when I attempt to configure the syslog server:

Dec  8 18:55:45 cherry rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2102.0" x-pid="7935" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Dec  8 18:55:45 cherry rsyslogd: file '/mnt/user/syslog/syslog-192.168.1.2.log': open error: No space left on device [v8.2102.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2433 ]

There is plenty (1.2TB) free on the array, so I can't see why I'm getting this error.

Here is my syslog server config:

image.thumb.png.81fdc9f3e18dba7807ea26b8d22e5287.png

I'm at a loss for what to do... I've tried changing the split level in the share settings as well as changing the maximum file size in the syslog server settings. I still get the same error.

Ah, yeah that did it. I set 'Minimum free space' to 1GB.

image.thumb.png.24c84341ff637e5f993c5684dd6f173e.png

I had tried to do this in the past, but I didn't understand you can't just put 0B in there. When I did that, it just went back to whatever the calculated value was.

Thank you for looking at this! I'm now getting syslog files created.

• Like 1