Accidently broke my Unraid Flash Drive and I don't know what to do next - Unraid 6.12.5

scott47
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Please help.

I had to replace the power supply in my Unraid server.  When I did that, I accidentally put the PC case on its back, which bent/broke the USB flash drive that was plugged into the back of the motherboard.  I tried to boot off of the broken drive but the computer does not recognize it being plugged in.

I downloaded the USB Flash Creator and created a new flash drive using Unraid 6.12.5 (the version I was running on my server). It installed okay, but I can't find any way to restore my Flash Drive backup from Unraid Connect.  I do have local backups of the Flash Drive but they are stored on the Unraid array (I realize now that was a bad idea).

I have 10 data drives and 2 parity drives in this system, as well as 3 SSDs that I use for the cache drive and as unassigned devices.  The array was encrypted with a password/key.

I apologize but I’m really freaking out about what to do to fix this.  I have been using Unraid since 2014 and this is the first time I’ve been scared that I will lose all my data and my configuration.  Is there any hope?  Can someone at Unraid send me a copy of the Flash Drive backup from Unraid Connect?  Or a Pro.key file for a new flash drive?  Or what should I do??

Thank you for any help that you may be able to offer.

Scott

Ok, I think things are okay....with a HUGE thanks to Unraid for the new Unraid connect service 🙂

If you have been saving Flash Drive backups In Unraid Connect, this is where you download the most recent backup:

image.png.871ed01ef82e181d0ec905ce6d358ad9.png

It makes sense, but it might be easier if it said something like download/generate backup.  Or maybe it was just because I was in a panic.

Once the backup was downloaded, I copied it over the new Flash Drive that I was going to use.

Next, I booted my Unraid server using the new flash drive.  I then signed into Unraid connect and it gave me this option: 

image.png.788031480fc8ed7a614c3ea01faa7b58.png

Long story short, I am SO glad that Unraid Connect is an option and that I had set up my server to use it.  Two of the drives were unmountable, but they are now being rebuilt.  My hope is I don't lose any data, but I'll know more in the morning.

Thanks to everyone!

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If the drives are unmountable during the rebuild, they will remain unmountable when it's done, unmountable drive is usually a filesystem problem, you can post the diags if more help is needed.

Thanks @JorgeB!

The rebuild is still running but I'm guessing you are right and the unmountable drive won't be mountable.  Here are the diagnostic files from my server.  Please let me know if you spot anything or if there is anything else I should try.

image.thumb.png.2d182e7e941791f6f0f274c9bc00e670.png

Thanks!!

tower-diagnostics-20231209-0938.zip