Changing the pinning of unRaid? Is this possible?

Storx

I am trying to figure out if this is possible, to change the cpu cores that unRaid uses. I have come across this post over here while searching for help on why my VM performance is so terrible on my unRaid server. I have an intel 10100 in it currently and it serves most of the duties i ask of it serving as my NAS, docker usage, and NVR for my security system, but something i have never been able to get working properly is VMs. They have always stuttered constantly, especially when trying to play video. It doesn't matter if i pin the cores to 2, 4, 6, or 8 threads of the CPU, it doesn't seem to change the performance issues in the VM. 

I came across the above post and found out that im guessing that unRaid task are the reason the CPU has stuttering issues. IDK why, but i can isolate my VM to just 2,3,6,7 and pass through the GPU and play a video in the VM on youtube. If i open something on the unRaid server and perform task in the background while the video is playing, it causes the video to stutter. Something as simple as transfering a file to the server across the network or starting a video in Plex... the VM starts stuttering while this event is occuring. I even isolated the docker container to 1,5 and it still somehow causes the VM to stutter. Its not a temperate issue, because the CPU is maxing out in the 70s under load. 

So can i isolate cores to unRaid and the dockers in the method mentioned above? I am thinking that my CPU is just unable to handle all the task or something, because if i turn off all my dockers and run the VM, i can play videos without stuttering and games are actually playable, but i can't seem to do both... So i was thinking of upgrading my unRaid server to something with more cores like a 13500/13600 and if possible hard lock the cpu cores that unRaid uses to the E-Cores. I would think if i can lock unRaid and the dockers to the E-Cores, it would use less energy performing its task and conserve the P-Cores to VMs. 

Edited by Storx

Sounds to me as if your issue may not be CPU pinning, but disk I/O related.    Where do you have the vdisk for the VM located - on the array or on a pool?  Also since you mention docker, where are the appdata and system shares located - ideally these should also not be on the main array for best performance.

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.