How to access Unraid Share over internet

Hi guys,

I am new to Unraid and I have a problem on how to access my Unraid shares over internet. I have read some topics from this forum but my setup is different. My Unraid has an public IP address, so i need to access my shares trough that IP. I need to copy my old Plex data to this one and i need to somehow map my Unraid shares trough SMB to my old Plex Server (Windows). 

There is any way to map Unraid SMB shares if my Unraid has a public IP address?

Thanks!

Do you mean that your server is directly exposed to the internet without going via a router?   This is highly inadvisable as Unraid is not hardened against attack.

the normal way to access Unraid from the internet is to use a VPN so the connection is encrypted.  Unraid has the WireGuard VPN server built in that can be used for this, although many people find something like the TailScale plugin easier to use and set up.

Have you already tried Cloudflare?

What you could do is:

- map your shares in Nextcloud and then access them with MFA via a cloud proxy (Cloudflare). 

- setup a VPN (Wireguard) over a VPS if you have IPv6. This is the only way I've managed to do it wtih my DS-Lite Connection.
Never expose your unraid server to the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

To access folder shares, you can use https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=win64

use should use SFTP via ssh. You will need to use FileZilla to access and transfer files. If you wish to have a WebDAV network share via ftp via the public ip that may be a harder an ask and implementation. You will not be able to use the normal samba web sharing.

You will not be able to use the webgui shares tab or use samba without a proxy/vpn. as such, any share should be set to export = no

image.png.51f6f80ba400e992045622a59d8be749.png

Due to using a public IP, this has exposed your unraid system and is it in a very unsecure setup as all port to the system are exposed to the internet. Without a firewall/nat device beforehand to prevent all ports open. As samba works on the first subnet, so others on that public ip subnet can access your data via samba.

I highly recommend you use FileZilla to access it via your ssh port and use your root login credentials that you use at the web gui.

I would also recommend enabling tls strict for your web gui access:

webgui > setting > Management Access

image.png.30281ef42cc7b67b0b29599cd2bc5775.png

and while ther turn off upnp, and disable tellnet and enable ssh.

I recommend installing the deny hosts Plugin and ssh Plugin. to assist your ssh needs and to semi put up a stop gap to nafaris actors.

I also recommend running the clam av docker to scan file periodically.

to map a drive share to the internet: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-an-ftp-drive-windows and/or https://www.snel.com/support/set-up-a-mapped-windows-drive-using-ssh-sftp/#:~:text=Open file explorer%2C right click,folder and click “Finish”.

you link would be sftp://YouUnriadPublicIP...

you would want to map to path /mnt/user