Lots of errors out of the blue

iaksap
Go to solution Solved by iaksap,

Background :

Had unRaid for long time, initially was using old cheap AMD mb. 

Few months ago I upgraded my main desktop and decided to use old desktop as unraid server. 

Asus Z87-pro and Intel i7 is the hardware. 

Migrated to this new server no problem and it was running few months. 

Couple of days ago one of the drives was put offline what appeared to be due to errors and I figured it was failing drive, it was 8 years old, so I got new drive, put it in and rebuild started only to get me to exact same errors during read-check. I swapped sata cable, it didn't help and I am now starting to panic and need community's help. 

I'm attaching log for review. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

tower-diagnostics-20231229-2334.zip

he syslog shows you getting read errors on disk1 after a large number of resets that look like the type we see when there is a power and/or sata cabling issue to the drive.   I would carefully check the cabling to that drive.   Later you got similar errors for disk3.

You should carefully check that all cabling to all drives is well seated.   Also make sure any HAB is well seated into its motherboard slot.

Thank you! I did replace sata cables to disks 1 and 3, but that didn't help. 

Curious thing is that rebuild starts fine, no errors for a long time so I leave it be, then, the next time I look at GUI I see errors at "read-check" stage. 

The bizzare thing is that I didn't touch the server in a long time and this issue just came out of the blue. 

That mb has 6 sata ports on Intel controller, I wonder if ports next to each other can go bad, that's where disks 1 and 3 are connected, and the rest of ports be ok? do ports go bad or all of them go bad if controller malfunctions? 

So I changed power cables for disks 1 and 3.

I ran extended SMART tests on both. 

Disk 3 came out clear of any errors, however Disk 1 had some errors logged, that's the brand new drive I got to replace what I thought failing drive. 

I can't tell what these errors mean and if I should send the drive back because it does say that test was passed yet there are errors. 

I'm attaching SMART log for Disk 1.

Thanks in advance for any advice. tower-smart-20231230-1932.zip