Flash Drive died - No backups

pish180
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Yup this sucks.  I swear I had setup backups to the Unraid connect but it doesn't seem to be there.  

So I need to get my license transferred to my new GUID USB drive. I sent support an email already. 

I do not know which drives went where.  I had 2 parity, 8 data drives, 2 cache drives (1 was no present, being replaced at the time of failure), 1 unassigned drive.  How am I am able to figure out assignments?  Can I mount the drives via console and see what is on them?  I think I read the parity drives won't mount or something.  Not sure.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Solution

You might find this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI to be of use.   In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

Thanks that was very helpful mod and if it was also you with the quick license change thanks for that as well!   

Almost everything was recovered since I had the cache drives with all the appdata stored there and I was able to identify which drives were the parity drives.  I also solved another issue that I was having with Radarr and got confirmed the backups are running with Unraid Connect.  The Unraid Connect backup feature is really nice!  Great feature!   Highly recommend getting that setup ASAP!   I do wish you could move you license manually but it was a pretty quick turn around after I posted here and sent in the email.  Thanks!

One thing to note for anyone who searches in the future.  You can "pause" the parity rebuild but you can't "stop" the array and think it will pickup where it left off.  I did this while reconfiguring Unraid and it had to start all over again.  Just let it rebuild.  It would be nice if the rebuild had a state file when it is restarted to continue where it left off. 

Overall off one of the easiest systems to recover from and I've had many RAIDs and severs go bad on me in the past.  Good stuff! 

6 hours ago, pish180 said:

One thing to note for anyone who searches in the future.  You can "pause" the parity rebuild but you can't "stop" the array and think it will pickup where it left off.  I did this while reconfiguring Unraid and it had to start all over again.  Just let it rebuild.  It would be nice if the rebuild had a state file when it is restarted to continue where it left off. 

The standard Unraid behaviour is as you describe.   If you install the Parity Check Tuning plugin then one of the features it offers is restarting array operations from point previously reached.