How can I determine why drives keep falling out of my unraid?

Aloyloy
Go to solution Solved by Aloyloy,

I had this problem before. The I discovered at least one bad drive.
Since then I've:

Built a new array out of 2x 16tb drives.
Read data off the first original drive, extended smart test, preclear. Added it back to the array.

Read data off the second original drive, extended smart test, preclear. Added it back to the array.

Read data off the third original drive, extended smart test, preclear. Added it back to the array.

Read data off the fourth original drive, extended smart test, preclear. Added it back to the drive and also plugged in the next drive while I was at it.

When I booted back up. the first original drive is no longer seen.
Unplugged the "next" drive and no change. Still not seeing the first original drive any more.

Removed the third original drive, since I had installed it at the same time, and when it came back up its not seen (Obviously, since I removed it) but the 1st original drive is STILL not seen.

Sorry to be verbose. I'm just hoping to get an answer. Anyway here is an updated diag. Any advice would be helpful but keep in mind I don't know linux well.

If the USB disconnect/reconnects are in there the problem is AFTER that. I fixed that. It was a device I had connected that I should have had (non compatible UPS)

To further clarify the one that dropped out is disk2 in the array, its just the first of my old drives that I added back in.

metis-diagnostics-20231230-1927.zip

Edited by Aloyloy
15 hours ago, trurl said:

Can you see the disks in BIOS?

No. But none of my drives can. Probably because I'm using a LSI 9207-8i card from art of server.

Btw I had another LSI 9207-8i card I used before from random ebayer that I was using when this happened the first time. I've since changed the card but it happened again.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Aloyloy said:

Yes I am using a splitter. One that was suggested to help me get around the 3.3v pin issue.

These can work slightly loose over time (presumably due to vibration) so always worth checking they are still firmly seated.   If you have it an electrical cleaning spray on the pins would also not go amiss in case any corrosion is happening.

18 hours ago, trurl said:

Reseated controller?

Not just reseated. I've totally changed the controller since this started.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

These can work slightly loose over time (presumably due to vibration) so always worth checking they are still firmly seated.   If you have it an electrical cleaning spray on the pins would also not go amiss in case any corrosion is happening.

I'll do better. ordered replacements. I'll try tomorrow and see if it fixes it. Its the last thing I've not replaced at this point. 

After a bit of delay I have replaced the power Molex to SATA adapter with 3 SATA splitters (with the correct pins blocked for a couple of drives that were shucks) and I'm still right where I started with one disk saying its missing.

Or to be exact it says: *attached image*

image.png

Edited by Aloyloy
1 hour ago, Aloyloy said:

replaced the power Molex to SATA adapter with 3 SATA splitters

Molex to SATA splitters are more reliable.

1 hour ago, Aloyloy said:

image.png

You have to rebuild to re-enable. The whole point of getting your connection problems fixed was so you could rebuild and so it wouldn't continue to happen.

But first

Attach new Diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

I see. Okay here is the new diagnostic.

We have some bad weather coming in so I'll probably wait until early next week to do that. (no reason to run the server when power is going to rocket up in price to stupid levels over the next 4 or 5 days)

So far the links in the forum I've found to those steps no longer work though. I guess the whole wiki was changed at some point.

metis-diagnostics-20240112-1759.zip

That looks OK. Emulated disk1 is mounted and has data. The emulated contents will be the result of rebuilding.

Might be safer to rebuild to another disk and keep the original as is in case of problems with rebuild. Do you have a spare?

Do you have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Thank you very much for the assistance and the link (https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself)

I learned something about unraid which is good, how to properly rebuild. But because I did not understand that I'm not sure which of the MANY things I did resolve the issue (change power cables, change SAS to SATA cable, etc). However it now appears to be resolved. It rebuilt without issue and even completed its weekly parity check with no problems.

Edited by Aloyloy