[SOLVED] File corruption or some other problem?

Seven

We've been running unRAID (version 4.7) for a while now and it has performed reliably.  Lately we've encountered several situations where certain movies don't play back correctly as they did in the past.  The majority of our media plays back fine but we've noticed a recent uptick in playback problems.

For example, my wife has a yoga video that she uses regularly.  This video played back normally each time for many months but just this past weekend it appears that the media files associated with this yoga have somehow become corrupted.  Now when she tries to play it the player (VLC media player) throws errors about corrupted or missing files and the video playback skips all over the place instead of going to the main DVD menu as it did in the past.  This same thing has happened now with several other movies in our library.

I'm concerned that something might be wrong with our unRAID system.  I ran a parity check last night and it completed with no sync errors.

I found another peculiar thing just now in the attached log file regarding the movie Mystic River.  We haven't touched the movie folder or files related to Mystic River in months. We didn't try to watch it or copy it or do anything with it at all.  Yet tonight the log file is complaining about "duplicate object" errors related to this movie.  I have no idea why anything is being done with this movie as far as unRAID is concerned because we haven't touched it.  

Can someone please eyeball the attached log file and let me know if you see any issues?  Thanks much.

syslog-2011-10-10.txt

My first thought would be to make sure you have the latest firmware on each drive.

My second thought would be to do a file system check on each reiser filesystem:

reiserfsck --check /dev/[sda1]

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check the firmware levels for each drive and also look into running the reiserfsck.

I ran reiserfsck --check on all disks and all data disks came back with no issues but reiserfsck reported the following about the parity disk:

###########
reiserfsck --check started at Tue Oct 11 12:37:45 2011
###########
Replaying journal: No transactions found
Zero bit found in on-disk bitmap after the last valid bit.
Checking internal tree.. \block 58483915: The level of the node (9987) is not correct, (4) expected
the problem in the internal node occured (58483915), whole subtree is skipped                                 finished
Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.
Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped
1 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree
###########
reiserfsck finished at Tue Oct 11 12:39:09 2011
###########

I'm not sure if this is cause for concern yet... just reporting my findings on this as I get them.  Thanks.

Reiserfsck.txt

reiserfsck does not apply to the parity disk. The parity disk has no file system. Do not run reiserfsck on the parity disk. See here for correct reiserfsck instructions: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

Thanks for the info.  I only ran it with the --check option so hopefully no damage was done... 

Parity check was OK and reiserfsck was OK on all data disks.  Not sure what else to check at this point or why we are getting "duplicate object" errors in the syslog about Mystic River when we haven't touched that folder or its contents for months.

root@Titan:/mnt# find /mnt -name Mystic*
/mnt/user/Movies/Mystic River
/mnt/disk5/Movies/Mystic River
/mnt/disk4/Movies/Mystic River

So did I somehow copy this movie to multiple disks?  I use midnight commander to move files/folders.  

UPDATE:  I renamed one of the Mystic River folders to Mystic River 2 and the "duplicate object" errors have now stopped.  Thanks for helping me suss that out @dgaschk.

root@Titan:/mnt# find /mnt -name Mystic*
/mnt/user/Movies/Mystic River
/mnt/disk5/Movies/Mystic River
/mnt/disk4/Movies/Mystic River

So did I somehow copy this movie to multiple disks?  I use midnight commander to move files/folders.  

UPDATE:  I renamed one of the Mystic River folders to Mystic River 2 and the "duplicate object" errors have now stopped.  Thanks for helping me suss that out @dgaschk.

If you acces the disks, do both directories contain all the same files? Depending on your share's split level, allocation method etc...some files may just have been split between the the two locations. This would only be true if you originally added/moved the movie to the array via a user share rather than a disk share.

Archived