Moving multiple drives with data to another unraid server

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have two unraid servers. I want to move 6 drives (including the data on them) from one of the servers to the other server. All drives on both machine use XFS as the filesystem. Both servers use dual parity.

My understanding is that if I create a new config on the destination server and assign the drives to empty slots, then start the array - it will rebuild parity and the data will just appear - the system won't try to reformat those drives in the new system?

I would then do a new config on the origin server and unassign the drives, then start the array to do a parity rebuild without those drives present.

I have an existing share on the new server that is different to the share that the 6 drives use - if I just rename the top level folder on each of the drives to match the new share name, will that be sufficient to have the data on those drives appear under the new share?

Summary of steps I think I'll need:

1. take screenshots of all existing array assignments just in case
  2. shut down both servers and physically move all 6 drives from origin to destination servers
  3. start destination server (auto start is disabled)
  4. create new config on destination server preserving current assignments, assign new drives to empty slots
  5. start array on destination server, which will trigger a party rebuild
  6. rename top level folders on all new drives to match share name that will be used on destination server
  7. create new config on the origin server preserving current assignments, unassign old drives
  8. start array on origin server, which will trigger a parity rebuild

Anything I've missed?

Thanks!

Edited by SimonHampel
  • Solution
14 hours ago, SimonHampel said:

My understanding is that if I create a new config on the destination server and assign the drives to empty slots, then start the array - it will rebuild parity and the data will just appear - the system won't try to reformat those drives in the new system?

I would then do a new config on the origin server and unassign the drives, then start the array to do a parity rebuild without those drives present.

Correct.

14 hours ago, SimonHampel said:

I have an existing share on the new server that is different to the share that the 6 drives use - if I just rename the top level folder on each of the drives to match the new share name, will that be sufficient to have the data on those drives appear under the new share?

Correct but it may need an array re-start to show everything correctly after that.