We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unraid 6.12.6 won't boot/kernel panic after hardware upgrade

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all, really hoping to get some help here as my Unraid system is down and unbootable. I can't give logs as I am unable to boot into unraid (even in safe no plugin/gui mode).

I upgraded my system from an old Threadripper (1st gen) to:

CPU: Threadripper 7960X
MB: Asus Pro WS TRX50-SAGE Wifi
Mem: 128GB G. Skill 6400
Everything else is the same.

I have went through the usual steps of enabling IOMMU and virtualization and all that jazz. 
I have done a full MemTest and everything is good.
I have successfully booted into a Ubuntu Live to make sure that this can be booted in Linux and everything went well (no kernel panics).

Here is the Kernel panic I'm receiving and I haven't been able to get past it messing with the BIOS.

Kernel panic - not syncing: timer doesn't work through Interrupt-remapped IO-APIC

Here are images as I can't copy/paste.
image.thumb.png.3a65b6b548fd0d858836ac7ba5cdb523.png

After messing with Local APIC Mode I got the similar kernel panic:
image.thumb.png.34ec8a59a4bd1f12c6755afd1efb313c.png

Things I have tried:

Disabling APIC from boot options:

noapic nolapic acpi=off

Disabling C-States globally.
Changing Local APIC Mode to 3 different settings (dynamic vs physical flat as seen in images).
Modifying various CPU settings. Here is what is available.
image.thumb.png.0886eec05243c2735d7fde3145598270.png

I'm really at the end of my rope here and would appreciate any feedback. Does the kernel that ships with Unraid 6.12.6 support these processors?

Thank you all for your help.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I would first try to boot with a different flash drive using a stock Unraid install, no key needed, this would show if the issue is with the flash drive/config or not.

Hi JorgeB, I did as you suggested and the system did indeed boot. What would be the recommendation be now that we know a clean Unraid USB does boot? I don't want to loose all my configs/vms/dockers.

I wouldn't mind switching to a new USB that I also purchased as the old one seems kind of jank. It has been in there for 5 or so years though.

When making a new USB using make_bootable_linux, if I choose N for EFI the system will not boot. If I choose Y for EFI I can boot from the EFI partition. EFI is in compatibility mode in BIOS and the old one is not EFI and grub loads so not sure what is up with that. Should I create it as EFI?

27 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can do it with the new one, you can still see if it boots correctly, just won't be able to start the array due to invalid key.

Yes, it successfully booted into the terminal! What should I do now? Can't access the GUI or anything. The old system had bonding on and I think that might be messing up routing.

Edited by ShadowMoses
27 minutes ago, ShadowMoses said:

When making a new USB using make_bootable_linux, if I choose N for EFI the system will not boot. If I choose Y for EFI I can boot from the EFI partition. EFI is in compatibility mode in BIOS and the old one is not EFI and grub loads so not sure what is up with that. Should I create it as EFI?

Not sure I follow, but for legacy boot you make run the make_bootable, for UEFI boot you just need to have the EFI folder, it cannot be EFI-.

10 minutes ago, ShadowMoses said:

Yes, it successfully booted into the terminal! What should I do now?

You can still try redoing the old flash drive or if you prefer transfer the key.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Not sure I follow, but for legacy boot you make run the make_bootable, for UEFI boot you just need to have the EFI folder, it cannot be EFI-.

You can still try redoing the old flash drive or if you prefer transfer the key.

Okay, I have figured out what is happening with the error. I can't boot to the GUI as I have an Nvidia card and no driver installed. I was going to try nomodeset with UEFI but I just get a blinking cursor. So I moved EFI to EFI- to go into legacy and the Kernel Panic comes back even on the new USB. It seems as though I must boot Unraid in UEFI mode for some mysterious reason even in compatibility mode.

Also, how do you restart the network service from the cli so I don't have to reboot?

Edited by ShadowMoses