Unstable server after UPS failure, 6.12.3

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

My 6.12.3 UnRaid install has been stable for many years.  Have added drives and a couple years ago, new motherboard and almost all other hardware.  Still been rock solid.  My UPS failed a couple weeks ago and since then I have fought with keeping the server up over 24 hours.  Sometimes I might get 36 hours, Lately seems only 8 to 12 hours.  Seems that my cache pool with my appdata goes read-only at some point after the reboot, if the server is still responsive by the time I notice it.  This morning, the dockers were unhappy as the appdata was read-only, but the server was responsive, so I could get the diagnostics downloaded.

Attempted fixes:

- Replaced both m.2 drives in the appdata cache as that seemed to be the issue in the beginning, but I think that was my ignorance.

-- Through that, had to completely format and start from scratch with the FS on that RAID.

- Have VMs disabled hoping there was an issue there.

- The server used to boot from power off with zero issues, but seems that now, it will not boot unless I unplug the thumbdrive, let it go in to the BIOS, plug in the thumbdrive, then hit ctrl-alt-del, then it goes into UnRaid.

- Replaced thumbdrive thinking that could be causing the above.  Same issue (maybe motherboard is having issues?)

- Have downloaded MemTest and that had a successful run with no errors.

- Remote Syslog does indicate some "kernel warning" and "kernel error" messages, but they don't mean anything to me.

-- I have seen these happen as I have been watching, and the server does not always stop working (might not be the exact error though).

Diagnostics attached.  I hate to. keep swapping hardware unless I know it will help.  Having a stable UnRaid server for years certainly does not mean I can troubleshoot it at this level.

Any support would be appreciated.

spearsmedia00-diagnostics-20240123-0635.zip

• Solution
Jan 22 21:20:05 SpearsMedia00 kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x10a/0x150 [macvlan]
Jan 22 21:20:05 SpearsMedia00 kernel: ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x14/0x29
Jan 22 21:20:05 SpearsMedia00 kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xbc/0x12f [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

I had seen a "discussion" about macvlan, but had not implemented that as I was unsure of the level of effort.  I have some dockers that are running on the server's IP and some that I have assigned static IPs to.  Do I need to make any physical network changes first?  I thought I had read that I needed to add another physical network adapter to support this.

Thank you for the quick response...

23 hours ago, JorgeB said:
Jan 22 21:20:05 SpearsMedia00 kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x10a/0x150 [macvlan]
Jan 22 21:20:05 SpearsMedia00 kernel: ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x14/0x29
Jan 22 21:20:05 SpearsMedia00 kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xbc/0x12f [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

Almost 24 hours in to the IPVLAN change and all seems very stable.  Also, no kernel.critical errors.  A few kernel.warning that say "kernel: x86/split lock detection", but from my research, that looks to be related to a Windows VM that is running, but not seeming to be causing stability issues.

Thank you again.  After another 24'ish hours, I think we can call this fixed, but will monitor.  Just wanted to post an update.

• Like 1