Random shutdowns after powercut

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Not if you don't let Windows alter the disks

Do you happen to know if there is a "guide" on how to do this without having the probability of data loss? I have a very substantial movie library/collection that I don't want to damage or lose..

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

I can recall hearing stories of pumps in dishwasher and clothes washers where the blades on the impellers in the pumps were almost completely eroded away!   Things do wear out and everything ever made to do 'work' will eventually fail-- requiring repair or replacement.  One can make statements about the probability of failure for large populations of an item but they do not apply to a single sample of that item.  You are best to assume that anything and everything in that computer is a suspect until you have verified that it is working properly.

I am not saying that anything is defective but an indication that the CPU temps are hitting 90C is a red flag that I would be pursuing.  If that temperature is correct, the prime suspect would be a failure somewhere in the cooling setup...

Do you know if there is a way to confidently check if the cooling system is off without having to buy a new watercooler, etc? Or is the best course of action to install the live windows version and giving the stress-test a go? (that would likely then identify if there is an error/problem with the CPU, no?

25 minutes ago, DrBobke1 said:

Do you know if there is a way to confidently check if the cooling system is off without having to buy a new watercooler, etc?

RAM is about the only thing that can be easily checked to see if is good or bad.  Most other hardware is 'tested' by replacement.   That is why clues to things that are not 'normal' are important.  You want to start there.   The order of replacement process is often governed by the cost of the replacement component and its ease of replacement.

28 minutes ago, DrBobke1 said:

Or is the best course of action to install the live windows version and giving the stress-test a go? (that would likely then identify if there is an error/problem with the CPU, no?

You can do this.  Start by googling   live windows version  and build a boot-able flash drive.   When using it, read everything that comes up before you click 'OK'.   You do not want to allow Windows to do anything with your Unraid drives!!!   (By the way, don't be surprised if Windows shuts down after a few minutes.)  

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

RAM is about the only thing that can be easily checked to see if is good or bad.  Most other hardware is 'tested' by replacement.   That is why clues to things that are not 'normal' are important.  You want to start there.   The order of replacement process is often governed by the cost of the replacement component and its ease of replacement.

You can do this.  Start by googling   live windows version  and build a boot-able flash drive.   When using it, read everything that comes up before you click 'OK'.   You do not want to allow Windows to do anything with your Unraid drives!!!   (By the way, don't be surprised if Windows shuts down after a few minutes.)  

Would it be a good idea to unplug the HDD's during this time? Or will that mess up something in Unraid afterwards?

I am creating the live windows drive now (win 8.1, as I am not sure my hardware will support WIN10).

So, a little update in the meantime.. It took a long time to get the live Windows going on the thumbdrive.  When it was finally booting, I was greeted with the WIN-logo and a wheel that kept turning, I killed after about 10 min as it didn't seem to change a thing. I tried going into BIOS settings, selecting the boot drive, disconnected all HDD's, but nothing worked, so I gave up.

I did take the watercooler out and noticed the thermal paste was pretty dried up. I also removed the CPU, so I can clean it.

I have just ordered a new watercooler from Coolermaster, as a lot of reviews report having issues with Corsair watercoolers (then one I had, but was working pretty well as far as I knew).. So here is to testing where the issue lies.

Delivery will only be on Tuesday though.. Hopefully that will sort the issue then!

Just received my new Watercooler, installed it and unraid has now been online for coming up to 2 hours, so I am fairly certain the issue has been resolved and the watercooler is busted.  Happy that is was just a small cost!

Unraid is now Parity checking, but I did see the temps come up to 41°, is that okay?  I am not doing anything else at the moment.

Just for reference : I have an LGA2011 mobo (GA-x79-UP4 (rev1,1)) and put Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste on with an Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120R RGB cooler on.

Side question : I have everything hooked up as indicated, but the RGB lights do not come on. the Two fans and hooked up via a Y splitter to CPU FAN on the Mobo and running, the other two are fed into the remote as indicated with another splitter cable.  The two cables coming from the CPU cooler itself - 1 is fed into the RGB remote as well, the other is meant to go into CPU_OPT, but since I don't have that on my Mobo, I have put it into SYSFAN4 (also 3 pin). I also connected the USB (USB Header Connector and USB Adapter) to feed power to the RGB Remote.

The cable for Gigabyte Mobo connection to the RGB Remote, I cannot put on my Mobo anywhere (probably my mobo is too old?).  It's called the ARGB 3-Pin Motherboard connector.

I don't mind too much that I can't control the RGB lights, but it would be nice that they can just "come on".

Just for reference : I didn't put the cables for Case Restarting Line, or Motherboard Restart wire, since I don't use them anyway.

What am I missing?