Belkin surge protector with remote - $23 (remotely power on your unRAID server!)

Rajahal

Belkin Conserve Switch Surge Protector with Remote, 8-Outlet - F7C01008

$25 shipped

On sale again, $23 this time: Belkin Conserve Switch Surge Protector with Remote, 8-Outlet - F7C01008

Have a motherboard that doesn't support S3 sleep or WOL (wake on LAN)?  Here's a clever and simple alternative:  First, plug your server into the above Belkin surge protector (or another remote-controlled surge protector).  If you use a UPS (which is highly recommended), you should be able to put this surge protector between the server and the UPS.  Next, go into your motherboard's BIOS and find the setting called 'Restore on AC Power Loss' (this is what Asus calls it, your motherboard might call it something different).  Change the setting to 'power on'.  In plain English, you are telling the motherboard that if it ever detects a power outage, it should turn on as soon as the power comes back.

Your unRAID remote is now set up, here's how you would use it:

To power off the server, just stop the array and press the 'power down' button on the unRAID web interface as you normally would.  To power on the server, simply toggle the surge protector's remote control switch to the 'off' position, then back to the 'on' position.  This will temporarily cut AC power to the motherboard.  When the power comes back a second later, the motherboard should boot.  Presto, remote power on for your unRAID server!

The original idea for this method came from another unRAID forum member, although I cannot remember who at the moment (please speak up if it was you!).  I believe he used some other sort of remote control switch to cut and restore power to the server, but the concept is the same.  By the way, if you are not using this method to remotely power on your unRAID server, then I suggest you change the 'Restore on AC Power Loss' setting in your motherboard's BIOS to 'power off'.  If your house loses power frequently during an electrical storm then you probably don't want your server powering on and off several times during it.  Best to leave it powered off until the storm passes (or use a high quality UPS and ride out the storm in style!).

As long as you don't put a ridiculous amount of devices on a single plug, I don't think it would be an issue.  In the trick I detailed above I would recommend placing just the unRAID server on the surge protector as chances are you don't want to cut power to other devices every time you boot your server!

and if you accidentally flip the switch while copying data.... ~shivers~

the reason why they say no surge protectors plugged into the ups is that they say the UPS can't do its job correctly.

I forgot why, but it could result in the UPS not protecting the equipment in a brownout or lightning strike.

a power strip without a surge protector was OK though.

The warning I remember (been a while and you know how memory is) implied that when the surge suppressor was suppressing the surge by sending the spike down the ground wire (that's how it suppresses or use to doen't it) it could cause the UPS problems.  I got the impression that the UPS would think there was a direct short and implement its short protection measures.  Like I said it has been a while and I'm going off of memory here.  From what you've said and the posts in the link I provided I won't worry about it.

A device with inductors and capacitors as part of the transient protection could be damaged by the non-sinusoidal output of certain cheaper UPS's. However, most decent UPS's provide a sinewave output these days where this wouldn't be an issue.

The other "hidden" concern would be that a UPS can't provide battery back-up when someone accidentally turns-off the power bar below their desk. I know that the person should realize they cause the issue, but I bet UPS manufacturers still get complaint calls for this.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Alternatively, simple and effective, just the switch(es):

Set of 3 remotely-controlled AC (3-prong, 10A) switches, controlled by a single (3-button) remote. $17

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS4NQS

Also available at geeks.com ($13 [but maybe higher shipping])

Link: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BH9936-3&cpc=SCH

I bought 2 sets at Geeks 5+ yrs ago; working fine with projector, upstairs fan, upstairs lamp, etc. Note: the two sets do not interfere w/each other (different codes). Remote range OK -- 25+ feet incl. ceiling and a wall. The (3) remote buttons are toggles, but each switch has discrete ON and OFF buttons (typically not needed, but in some applications very welcome).

--UhClem

• 4 weeks later...