Parity drive never spins down

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi,

I've been trying to spin down Parity drive when not used for some time now, but seems like constantly something is keeping it active. Even if I try to spin it down manually, it goes up after some seconds. Two other drives go down - no issues. Im using 1 ssd cache + 4 exos drives + 1 usb for backup.

Unraid 6.12.6
image.png.cc46649aae3283288078e3ca903a37bd.png

Checked manually paths etc. in dockers and at first glance all looks good. Spin down delay enabled - double checked.

New user here, and run out of ideas. Maybe I misconfigured something or missed some of the settings?

Highly appreciated if someone could take a look at diag logs, and advise what could be improved.

tower-diagnostics-20240130-2116.zip

Edited by Alistar
formatting
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Your ‘system’ share has files on disk1.   If this includes the docker.img file then even having the docker service started will keep disk1 and parity spun up as writes to any array drive automatically update parity at the same time.

Thanks for taking time to take a look on my case!

I have checked the settings of 'system' share:
image.thumb.png.6d5a055a408ecc4a2512bd9dc18243c5.png

Thought it looks good. Should I set secondary storage to none, or change anything here?

Indeed theres a docker.img file on disk1:
image.thumb.png.190a089656526e674fd2703b87ca9069.png

And same location is empty on cache:
image.thumb.png.44b5a5c7c88ba58e3ad6948965dae8e5.png

How can I safely move it now from Disk1 to Cache?

Edited by Alistar
  • Solution

You should:

• Disable the Docker service under settings (it needs to be disabled to stop it keeping files open)
  • Run mover to transfer the contents of the 'system' share to the cache
  • (optional) When that completes you might want to confirm that there is now no sign of the 'system' share on disk1 
  • Set the secondary storage option for the 'system' to None
  • Enable the option to use Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings to get the performance advantage of bypassing the Unraid Fuse layer 
  • Reenable the Docker service

Once this is done then docker will not be keeping disk1 and parity spun up all the time.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

You should:

• Disable the Docker service under settings (it needs to be disabled to stop it keeping files open)
  • Run mover to transfer the contents of the 'system' share to the cache
  • (optional) When that completes you might want to confirm that there is now no sign of the 'system' share on disk1 
  • Set the secondary storage option for the 'system' to None
  • Enable the option to use Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings to get the performance advantage of bypassing the Unraid Fuse layer 
  • Reenable the Docker service

Once this is done then docker will not be keeping disk1 and parity spun up all the time.

During cleanup process I have realized that in VM Manager and Docker service itself I still had paths pointing to /mnt/user instead /mnt/cache. 
I have changed that as well to avoid similar issue in the future with vms:

image.thumb.png.ef4153b0fc8b84023802fc56f440e31a.png

image.png.3b14a2d488bc295bbb5aa3f4aa7c6eac.png

Other than that I have made all mentioned changes and it works now :) 
 image.png.662dd566f315b8f05f49d8b19e710790.png

Btw is my understading correct, that in best scenario - parity should remain in standby if 'Write' is happening to cache, and only activate when mover kicks in? Also Parity remains in standby if only "read" is happening from Disk 1-3?

Edited by Alistar
3 hours ago, Alistar said:

During cleanup process I have realized that in VM Manager and Docker service itself I still had paths pointing to /mnt/user instead /mnt/cache. 

This is not necessary if the share is an Exclusive share.

3 hours ago, Alistar said:

Btw is my understading correct, that in best scenario - parity should remain in standby if 'Write' is happening to cache, and only activate when mover kicks in? Also Parity remains in standby if only "read" is happening from Disk 1-3?

Parity is realtime so any write to the array also causes a write to the parity drive.  You may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI useful in understanding how writes to the array are handled.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

This is not necessary if the share is an Exclusive share.

Parity is realtime so any write to the array also causes a write to the parity drive.  You may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI useful in understanding how writes to the array are handled.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

Got it.

Thank you for support. Will mark this one as resolved.