We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

SuperMicro X9SCM-O Memory Issue

Jiafu

Hi, I just DIY a server with Intel Xeon E3-1240 and Supermicro X9SCM-O. At the beginning I used 4 X 4G (Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4G) memory, it worked fine. Then I want to upgrade, bought 4 X 8G (Kingston KVR1333D4R9S/8GHB) and 4 X 8G (Kingston KVR1333D3Q8R9S/8G), both don't work. The monitor displays nothing, and the 5 short 1 long beep means not detect memory, however I just bought those from newegg. So it means the memories are broken or there are compatible issues?

The BIOS version is 1.0, but I didn't find the changes of 1.1a in the website? Do they mention memory issues? The Kingston KVR1333D3Q8R9S/8G is Registered w/ Parity, but KVR1333D3Q8R9S/8G is just ECC Registered, but what's the differences between 8G and 8GHB?

Are there someone successfully installing 32G memory on this motherboard? Thanks for all your help.

Like siamsquare said - Registered unbuffered ECC.

Both Johnm and I are successfully running the Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered 1333 (PC3 10600) Model KVR1333D3E9S

They are available in kits of 2 and 3 as wee, which adds K2/8G or K3/12G to the end of the model number. Still same sticks. I believe there are some equivalent Corsair modules available (not here in Denmark so I haven't looked further on those). Otherwise look at the compatibility list on the SuperMicro site.

This one should work too.

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1462334305&partno=HMT41GU7MFR8C-H9&rid=fd_10

Just a word of warning - running than big amount of unbuffered memory can be a iffy thing as the signal integrity may not be there.

Differences between 8G and 8GHB - Kingston rebagges Hynix memory modules and in the second case it probably means that this is Hynix module and the B is the revision (on the said module or perhaps the die)

Archived