"This is not a bootable disk."

My Unraid server has been in storage for over a year.  Now I get "This is not a bootable disk." when booting to the original USB drive.  It boots if I insert another USB drive on which I had just installed a new clean copy of Unraid.   

How do I repair the original USB drive?  Or can I copy my key and config to the new USB?  The new USB has the current version of Unraid -- is that going to cause a problem with the Unraid version?  I don't know what version I was running, but obviously it is not current.

It seems much more likely that the server has "forgotten" which drive should be the bootable drive.    You might want to check that the BIOS battery does not need replacing.

In terms of 'fixing' the original drive if the problem is that level I would suggest following the steps outlined here in the online documentation to replace all the bz* type files to see if that helps. You can do this with the latest Unraid release so it should not matter what release you were previously running.

33 minutes ago, RadOD said:

Or can I copy my key and config to the new USB?

You can do this, but then you will have to go through the automated licence transfer process to get an updated licence file for the new flash drive.   This process blacklists the old one so you might want to first try the suggestion of replacing the bz* type files on the old drive.

The server BIOS still knows to boot to the USB drive.

Before starting, I tried backing up everything. The bzfirmware file kept giving errors when trying to read the file.  Multiple attempts to run chkdsk however did not find any errors but I suspect the USB drive is going bad.

I copied all the bz* files over - the 6.12 bz files would not boot but the 6.11 files worked and I got things started up.  Before attempting to backup the flash drive from within the GUI, I updated the OS to I think 6.12.6 thinking that was a good idea.  Later I came back to do the backup and there was an upgrade to 6.12.8 or something.  After running that the USB drive was no longer detected even after multiple reboots with drive drive in every port.

Is this what I want to do next: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/ ?